How do i Connect VCR/DVD player and computer to nextbox?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: How do i Connect VCR/DVD player and computer to nextbox?

Forget the S-Video for a second. You won't need it.

You have a NextBox PVR (Needed)
You have a DVD that records (Needed)
You have a HDTV (Needed)
You have wires connecting them all (Needed)
Everything Else (Not Needed)

Lets Begin!

First connect your Nextbox PVR "Output" Video Cables to "InPut" of the DVD Player/Recorder.
Second: Connect the DVD Player "output" to TV "Input".
your TV Channel should be whatever your DVD is played on. It all depends on what cables you are using.
If you are using S-Video. Use RCA instead (Or HDMI if it can handle it).

@OLDYELLR - I am avoiding the "Record to VCR" function. This is straight Cable routing that will work. Since its just video feed, NextBox doesn't and wouldn't even know with the set up I am suggesting.

But yea. 40hrs or recording would be 40hrs to copy. o__o but I highly doubt nextbox can play one recording after another...
Wait, can it? Does it have a "Play List" option? (I don't know about this).
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:

@OLDYELLR - I am avoiding the "Record to VCR" function. This is straight Cable routing that will work. Since its just video feed, NextBox doesn't and wouldn't even know with the set up I am suggesting.

Yes, it's not really necessary if you have everything connected as you said and see everything on your TV screen from the DVDR. Back in the time of the 8300, before the Nextboxes, There was actually a Rogers Help channel that described how to connect the PVR to the VCR and make recordings. Maybe it was on ROD, I can't remember.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Shark,

Understood.  I have a complicated wire set-up currently (there is a covering I put to hide the wires that go from my stand to wall-mounted tv).

Do you think that the S Video wouldn't work at all as that would mean just buying one and putting it from the DVD player into the USB port on the Nextbox?

If it doesn't then I guess I would have to remove my wire covering to switch up the input into the TV.

Thanks

M

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A USB to Svideo is a CAPTURE card in essence.. its just not an adapter cable.
Its designed to go into a PC.. and use software to take that input and the comptuer works to put it in conputer format.

A USB port does not output video, etc.  No video output comes out of the nextbox (or any) USB port.

Rogers Employee

@Gdkitty said exactly what I was gonna say!

Its a Capture card - As soon as USB is involved, it has some software involved (Usually with a PC) so you would be connecting it to a PC.

USB on its own doesn't handle live video feed. That too much data stream at once, the wire isn't meant for that. However, S-Video is a pretty much SD compared to now-a-days, so PC can still pick it up with assisted software. (horrible quality I would presume).
(S-Video to USB is definitely 2.0 and not going to be 3.0, im certain of it).

That is why I said to avoid S-Video cable. If you had a S-Video to S-Video Cable (A standard cable for S-Video) then I would have included that into your set up for the 'old VCR trick'. but you have something that is a conversion... and to a USB at that.
As Gdkitty said, that sounds like a Capture card and you are adding more complication to your complicated wiring already. lol Why add a PC to the mix when its not needed? You already have the DVD recorded. You have to remove the DVD recorder out of the equation and replace it with PC. But then it wont connect to your TV, you PC software will show you what the NextBox is seeing instead. (Again, HORRIBLE Quality for USB 2.0, and Somewhat decent quality for 3.0 if you have that somehow).

I run 3 capture cards, and believe me when i say this, certain brands are better than others and 3.0 is needed for higher quality capture.

o___o hope this adds some seasoning to the pot of gravy we are cooking.

@murtz316 wanna take pictures of your set up? Smiley Very Happy or at least the ports of the back of your DVD Recorder and TV? Also which nextbox do you have 2.0 or 3.0?
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi friends, sorry for the slow response.

Updates:

I had a TV installer come to check out the problem.  He managed to get the RCA cables to work.  The strange thing is now some shows are able to be recorded but others keep giving us a Video Recording error.  We have isolated this issue to not being able to record CTV shows (or so we think).

Has anyone else experienced?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@murtz316 I just tried recording a CTV program (W5)  I'd saved on my SA8300HD to my DVDR and had no trouble. Mind you my DVDR only records SD, so I have to zoom the recording to compare it to the original recording. My DVDR is a Magnavox CMWR10D6.  What DVD recorder are you using?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only thing.. i could think is some form of copy protection??

NORMALLY i would say its not present on RCA connections.. but it still can be.

I remember in the past, trying to record from one VCR to another via COAX and RCA.. and trying to copy a store bought VHS tape (say a disney movie, etc).
And many would often have a form of 'copy protection' on them.. broacast along with the feed... that the VCR is designed to pick up on, and not record.

I have seen in rarely in the past, with my panasonic DVR as well.
Due to limited inputs at the time.. had a different DVD player i prefered the interface on.. and wanted to run IT through the DVR.
I could get NO display period from it.  Guessing that the DVD player was passing that same 'copy protection' type signal, which the DVR picked up on.

Rogers Employee

Copy protection is what I am thinking as well.
Thought with SD and RCA cables, I don't think it transfers, no?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It does.
Its just not as often/prelivent anymore..
Since so little is SD Smiley Tongue

Now you just deal with HDCP on HDMI, etc Smiley Tongue