How do I transfer a recording from the new next box 8642

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

How do I transfer a recording from the new next box 8642

Hi I recorded a remembrance day service that the local Rogers station did. is there any way of transferring the recoding to my computer or a thumb drive?

or do I have to keep it on the pvr for ever.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How do I transfer a recording from the new next box 8642

There is no direct way to copy it to a thumb drive, etc.

The only real way, would be to output from the rogers box, to a DVR or VCR, and record it that way.

I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 3.0 HDPVR

I'm good at asking stupid questions so here goes.  If I record a program & decide I want to keep it, how do I do that?  Can I play the program & tape it to a VCR or can I burn it to a disc?  Record it to a DVD via a DVD recorder? 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 HDPVR

Not sure about the Nextbox 3, but on the older PVRs you can set it up to keep the program until you erase it, or keep it for 14 days (the default). After watching a recorded show, you have the option of erasing it or not.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, you can keep the recording on the box, pretty indefinately.. but if the drive fails, etc.. it will be gone.

MOST of the time, yes you can hook up a vcr/dvd recorder to it, to record stuff from it.
Its not the easiest thing to do though.. you have to record it in real time (play from pvr, record on device) and generally can only record it in SD quality (well obviously on the VCR)

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Offloading shows from the NextBox 2 and 3

Seriously considering getting away from Rogers due to the many issues we keep running into (not to mention how this board is policed). At minimum when we next move (hopefully less than 2 years from now) I won't have Rogers anymore.

Is there anyway to take a recording from the PVR and put them on some other device? Or do we have to start weaning our way off of these boxes?

I expect this is a universal issue regardless of provider. Too much of the implementation locked into the technology.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DragonsOfWine wrote:

Offloading shows from the NextBox 2 and 3

Seriously considering getting away from Rogers due to the many issues we keep running into (not to mention how this board is policed). At minimum when we next move (hopefully less than 2 years from now) I won't have Rogers anymore.

Is there anyway to take a recording from the PVR and put them on some other device? Or do we have to start weaning our way off of these boxes?

I expect this is a universal issue regardless of provider. Too much of the implementation locked into the technology.

I tried answering this, but when I went to post, the question had been deleted or censored by a moderator and no longer existed. Here we go again.

I see you're asking about the Nextbox 2 and 3. It's easy to do with the 8300, it's a menu item (Copy to VCR) and at one time Rogers even had a tutorial on it. It was not a menu item on the Nextbox, but users figured out how to do it. The drawback is that copying takes place in real time, i.e, a 60 minute recording takes 60 minutes to copy in the background. However, I've been reading that this ability has been totally crippled in the new Navigatr update by invoking copy protection, so I guess you're out of luck. Smiley Sad

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thanks - OLDYELLR. 

I kind of expect what you said. Think it is time to start weaning away to ease the move.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DragonsOfWine Sorry about your predicament. I don't believe it's even Rogers decision, but pressure from the content providers. At one time they even wanted cable companies to disable Fast Forward on recordings, but the cable and satellite companies resisted. At one time DVRs had a 30 second commercial skip feature (I have it on my DVDR) so if you anticipated how long the commercials would be you could just press the button x number of times. The content providers hated that and wanted it outlawed. I believe Navigatr has a 3-second skip available, but that's only good for maybe 50% of commercial breaks.