How do I interpret the signal levels on Rogers TV Boxes?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

How do I interpret the signal levels on Rogers TV Boxes?

I have a couple of the 8300HD PVRs as well as the Netbox 3.0 and wanted to know how I should interpret the signal levels.

For example, on the 8300HD,  getting into the service menu, I can see the following values:

Tuner 1: <enter frequency>  signal values

FDC:  <enter frequency>  signal values

RDC: <enter frequency>  signal values

For each of these options, what should the signal levels be and what is the ideal range?

Also, how do I get to the diagnostic screen on the Netbox 3.0 to see the signal levels?

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: How do I interpret the signal levels on Rogers TV Boxes?

This is for the SA8300.

On a channel that you can pause (not a music channel etc.) press and hold the "pause" button until the info (little mail icon) flashes on the box. Then press the "page+" button. The page +/- button changes the diagnostic pages. The "B" button changes the translucency of the screen. The "exit" does just that.

The signal strength information is on page 5. You need to look at the QAM side. The "level" should be between -10 and +10, with zero being about optimum (for digital stations). If the level is below -10, you'll see the number change to "orange" for "warning".

On the same page is the Signal/Noise ratio. The S/N ratio is good if it’s at about 35 dB, although a good HD signal can be received with slightly lower numbers. If your S/N is around 30 (or less) though, that could be a source of problems.

You can change channels while in the diagnostic menu and see signal strengths, frequencies, etc for various channels, however, they shouldn’t vary by more than a few dBs.

Edit: @57's contribution:

For 9865 (NextBox 3.0) & 8642 (NB2.0) & 4642 with latest firmware using the remote:
1) Press and hold the Exit key for two seconds until the power LED flashes on the front panel of the PVR
2) In quick succession, press the down arrow button twice, then press the 2 button. This will get you into the diagnostics section where you can browse all kinds of information.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mahomed:

For 9865 (NextBox 3.0) & 8642 (NB2.0) & 4642 with latest firmware using the remote:
1) Press and hold the Exit key for two seconds until the power LED flashes on the front panel of the PVR
2) In quick succession, press the down arrow button twice, then press the 2 button. This will get you into the diagnostics section where you can browse all kinds of information.

@OLDYELLR already provided you with appropriate signal levels.

Thanks for the info.

My signal level go between 0 dB (channel 2 at 249 Mhz frequency with s/n 36 dB) to -7 dB (channel 293 at 753 Mhz frequency with s/n 36 dB)

My return (RDC) power level is 35 dBmV.

Are these good numbers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mahomed:

Those numbers are OK, but usually there is not such a huge variation in signal (7dB) between channels. This typically indicates either a poor splitter or poor cabling which is causing the drop in signal at the higher frequencies.

Unfortunately for me, I am at the end of the line with Rogers as the signal starts at one end of the street and ends at my home.  I had Rogers maintenance come by in the past and they can't do much with the signal without adjusting the signal curve for the whole neighbourhood (100+ homes)

I'm a Senior Advisor

So the poor signal is a result of inadequate infrastructure, right?  Time for Rogers to  lay new cable in your area.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario