How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

The alert that triggered this thread was an amber alert that the agency responsible for broadcasting these inappropriately changed to a red alert. There was a lot of backlash and hopefully severe reprimands. You're never likely to see a fake one like this again, or people WILL start ignoring them. Believe you me, in the event of a REAL red alert, you won't want to be just sitting there watching your TV.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As an FYI, this is a new alert today. Based on feedback elsewhere, apparently the loud sound is not there and the notices are slightly different?

I saw this on the web a couple of hours ago and was wondering if there would be another "emergency".  I have not turned on my TV for the evening yet...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/baby-car-stolen-1.3499902

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/amber-alert-police-searching-for-stolen-car-carrying-baby-inside-1.2825013

"According to police, the father of the child had left the vehicle running as he ran into the flea market.Smiley Frustrated

I'm a Senior Advisor

Okay, I saw several versions of that alert on social media earlier today, but didn't have the TV on.  Amber Alerts like that, if broadcast, would be a crawl along the top or bottom of the screen, similar to tornado warnings.  They're usually broadcast by the TV networks or stations, unlike the Red Alert with the loud audio alarm that was on all cable networks. An Amber Alert isn't supposed to be really intrusive. 

@Headfake did you get today's alert on your TV and was it so intrusive you had to leave the room and it was impossible to continue watching your program?  Was it the same across all channels like the Red Alert was?

I've Been Here Awhile

There is still a red bar on our Rogers PVR 3500.  Also the amber alert seems to mess up control operation on the on-demand channels. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been getting this alert all evening--without the ear-splitting noise this time. The problem is, the infant was found before I even turned my tv on.

The red bar is at the top of the screen and cuts the top off actors' heads most of the time.

And . . . my ears are still ringing from March 6th.
I've Been Around

Online news sources state the missing child was found around 7:30pm - over an hour later, the red bar and text is still on the TV screen. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the alert system, plus now it's a distraction for no reason.

I Plan to Stick Around

CTV news reported at 5:27 p.m. that the baby was found. In addition, they state the abductor is 40-45 years old, whereas the alert on my tv states he is 20-25 years old.

Can we believe what we see on our TVs when we get a red alert, or will it be distorted information that sends us on a wild goose chase?
I'm a Senior Advisor

I started watching recorded shows around 7:30 p.m. here in the Woodstock area and there was no alert, so maybe it was only on live TV, unlike the original Red Alert that started this thread. Perhaps there are different criteria for Red and Amber Alerts.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I basically turned off my cable, and put on a streaming service. Its been a couple of hours and its still on. Its frustrating. I have the old menu still so that might have something to do with why it goes right across the front of the screen. No exit to click. This is actually enough that I would cancel my subscription with Rogers if it occurs often enough without an exit button and yes all channels.

I don't understand how this could be allowed. To implement the amber alert in such a manner and cause me to seriously consider canceling my cable and just getting an hd antenna and use online streaming is incredibly stupid. I don't understand why Rogers wouldn't have been more involved in how this played out. 

9:20 and I have red bar going across Ben Hur's head. For how much a month? This better change as I don't want to spend another Sunday night dealing with this bull.

I've Been Around

Reading news and just saw ion the news, baby from the stolen car was found half an hour ago and that's GREAT NEWS!!!

On my Netbox 2.0 the amber alert is displayed in a wider biger red box with an exit button on the bottom so you close it once you read the message. 

On Explorer 4250HD totaly different story. Annoying amber alert is still there for the last 4-5 hours, sitting in the top half of the screen, still rotating police note in one single red line, and no options how to exit and remove from the screen. Pressing exit button on the remote does nothing. Rebooting the box is also without success. It seems Rogers no longer cares to fix the menu or update navigator for older digital boxes.

Q: Rogers Support folks -> How do you turn off amber alert on Explorer 4250HD digital box? 

Thank you

Coming on PPV!
Real Madrid vs. Atlético (Athletic) Bilbao Live
LIVE: Saturday April 21, 2019 10AM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499 | 391 (beIN English) 392 (beIN Spanish)
Price: $5.99 (HD) | $5.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $5.99 | (beIN subscription $14.99/mo.)
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Real Madrid faces Athletic Bilbao in a regular la liga league soccer match. Subscribe to beIN Sports for $14.99/mo. to get the game and more La Liga and international Sporting events.

Crawford vs. Khan Live
LIVE: Saturday April 20, 2019 9PM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $79.99 (HD) | $74.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $79.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Undefeated virtuoso Terence "Bud" Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his welterweight world title against British boxing royalty Amir "King" Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) in a collision of superstars.

Topic Stats