How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Hello @Frenesi

Okay and it will go away. Honestly complaining about the sound I understand but don't come here and say "nerve damage is permanent" it's getting ridiculous at this point..

My father that is 62 was fine after an hour and didn't complain. Maybe because in ur teen years and middle years u got nerve damage due to playing in rock bands doesn't mean the sound that the CRTC implemented will cause hearing loss. Honestly i really don't believe this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is it annoying? Sure.. maybe a LITTLE loud..

I do wish they impemented another button for while the display is there.. 
Press OK to mute it (so you can still read it)
And exit to exit it.

(From the sounds of it.. its much better than the BELL SAT boxes... apparently they change the channel completely to display the message :0 )

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, changes the channel and kills your recording.  Not a great implementation, but, we're dealing with a box that's what, at least 5 years old which puts it about 7 to 10 years old in design.  Probably far before this alert message was even an idea.

I Plan to Stick Around

If I suggested we should all start learning sign language, that would be over the top, as you put it.  I'm getting the impression that there are differences in equipment affecting the volume and differences in the amount of hearing loss individuals have to begin with.  This was definitely not just a LITTLE loud--it was painful, and the next morning I still have the ringing in my ears.

And it only took  your Dad an HOUR to recover?  My dog took a couple of hours to settle down.  The mute button didn't work.  I hope I can remember to try other buttons with a 95 pound Doberman on top of me, clawing at me to MAKE IT STOP!!!

This alert system does more harm than good.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Frenesi

Animals do not like high pitched noises. You should know this as u own a animal. That's why it took the dog a while to calm down. I own a cat and a 10year old picknanigge and yes they reacted but we're fine a couple hours later. Why? Because it's how it is with their ears.

Anyways i won't go into this as again u still aren't getting it. Is the sound a bit high? Yes but contact the CRTC about it. Posting here won't make a difference as Rogers can't do anything
I've Been Here Awhile

I agree. The noise was so obnoxious I immediately turned my TV off the first & 2nd times it happened. The third time it went off I found the mute button and watched the screen long enough to see that it was an amber alert. But the details were so slow to display I left the room without watching it all. Fortunately this happened while i was watching a recorded pgm so i was able to rewind & not miss anything.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, if you watch live TV you would be knackered. Fortunately I watch recordings almost exclusively.

The question here is, how to turn off the alerts after you're sick of dealing with them. I saw this screen photo posted on the Rogers Facebook page, presumably from a Nextbox with Navigatr.

alert.jpg

I see it uses the whole bottom half of the screen and has "Press (exit) to dismiss this message". Does that work? My 8300 with SARA interface only has a red banner near the top of the screen and no way to dismiss it ("exit" didn't work) but I presume the audio alarm is just as loud and obnoxious. Hey, Rogers, how about updating SARA to kill these alerts?

It's also ironic that this was a false alarm after the boy was reported missing and then someone saw his father picking him up and thought it was an abductor. So it looks like Rogers, the CRTC and the OPP has some work to do.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @Frenesi

Anyways i won't go into this as again u still aren't getting it.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Frenesi

Oh I read that but again just because one user makes a complaint doesn't mean nothing will happen.

If the user understood it better they and u would know that I order for a company or even the CRTC to a change something thousands need to complain. One or 10 people won't do anything. That's why i am pushing everyone to complain to the CRTC who mandated it and not Rogers.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Yes, if you watch live TV you would be knackered. Fortunately I watch recordings almost exclusively.

The question here is, how to turn off the alerts after you're sick of dealing with them. I saw this screen photo posted on the Rogers Facebook page, presumably from a Nextbox with Navigatr.

alert.jpg

I see it uses the whole bottom half of the screen and has "Press (exit) to dismiss this message". Does that work? My 8300 with SARA interface only has a red banner near the top of the screen and no way to dismiss it ("exit" didn't work) but I presume the audio alarm is just as loud and obnoxious. Hey, Rogers, how about updating SARA to kill these alerts?

It's also ironic that this was a false alarm after the boy was reported missing and then someone saw his father picking him up and thought it was an abductor. So it looks like Rogers, the CRTC and the OPP has some work to do.

Yeah, on the Navigatr, the exit DOES work to exit it.

Obviously they werent able to do it the same way, programming wise on the SARA ones as vs the newer ones.

On the DTAs, apparently it did a channel change, since there is no menu, etc.
But may have locked up the DTA as well it sounds like.