How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @LorneGilbert

Weird MY PVR doesn't record it and I have the NB3 box...

I don't know if it was recorded, or injected into the show while watching, but I saw the alert on 2 recorded shows tonight.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is no question on muting the alert.  The sound, and sound levels are mandated.  Here's the document that covers the look and sound of the alert message:

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/mrgnc-mngmnt/mrgnc-prprdnss/npas/clf-lng-eng.aspx

That is available in a pdf format as well. 

From that document, section:  Alerting Attention Signal comes the following:

Wherever possible, the Canadian Alerting Attention Signal should be used to introduce audience alert messages that are identified “Broadcast Immediately” and distributed audibly.

In the event that LMD (Last Mile Distributor) equipment cannot insert the Canadian Alerting Attention Signal, the use of an alternative alert signal or tone available to the LMD should be used.

Specifications:

Composition: The Canadian Alerting Attention Signal is comprised of two alternating complex tones. Tone 1 is formed by the combination of three frequencies, 932.33 Hz, 1046.5 Hz and 3135.96 Hz, modulated at 7271.96 Hz. Tone 2 is formed by the combination of the three frequencies 440Hz, 659.26 Hz and 3135.96 Hz, modulated at 1099.26 Hz.

Relative volume of Canadian Alerting Attention Signal: Should be normalized to stations output.........

LMD (Last Mile Distributor) program audio should be off when the Alerting Attention Signal is played.

So, if anyone has strong objections to how the alert sounds and looks, then they should press for amendments to the following document:

National Public Alerting System
Common Look and Feel Guidance 1.1

I Plan to Stick Around

I had to scramble to turn the tv off because the volume of the alert was so loud, it was like a smoke alarm and my dog panicked.  I still have a noise hangover two hours later.  I believe the alert will cause hearing loss.  How absurd and counter-productive.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Frenesi

Don't you think your going overboard now?. Hearing loss? Cmon it wouldn't be as bad if many didn't have their volume on max or high level which many do know even commercials will get sometimes loud. Anyways i won't argue but ur post is going a bit overboard by saying people will Have some kind of hearing loss.
I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe not if you're deaf already.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have to agree with the people who say that the warning is way too LOUD.  Especially when played through my surround sound system.  In order to quiet the warning tone ASAP, I also hit the exit key before getting the chance to actually read the alert - which makes the alert itself useless.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Frenesi

Again your going overboard with ur post. No one is going to have hearing loss due to it. If u start having it, it's only for a couple of seconds or minutes then ur fine again. My 7.1 sound system was full blast and I didn't lose my hearing neither did my fiance and friends over.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @57

Again i agree with the tone that was used on it but the CRTC won't change it. Everyone complained when it first came out and nothing was done. The cable providers can't do anything as its out of their hands. So really complaining on here is useless as Rogers can't do anything.

I my self did message the CRTC both time back then and tonight about it.
I Plan to Stick Around

Nerve damage is permanent.  I don't have great hearing as it is.  When I played in rock bands I would wake up the next morning with ringing in my ears, and that's how I feel now.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

The alert on your TV must have been a lot louder than on mine. It was loud but hardly ear shattering and after the first couple of alerts I just hit the exit button and voila, alert gone.