How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

How do I turn off those LOUD emergency alerts on Navigatr?  

***Edited Labels*** 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Short answer is:  you can't. 

Here's a reference to the emergency alert messages which are mandated by the CRTC.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @murtz316

Unfortunately they aren't able to be turned off. It's a emergency service message which was set from the government and the CRTC is for  any weather emergencies and any children that are missing. 

Did you read what was the problem? Missing child that was abducted so that's something serious that many need to know.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if Bell Fibe has the same procedure.

Do you also know if these affect PVR'd shows and if the alert plays during playback?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @murtz316

All cable providers have the same messsge no matter who company it's with. It's mandatory set from the CRTC.

From what i know i don't think so.
I've Been Here Awhile

I am so angry right now,

My mother is home from surgery and has to rest for the next couple days. She's staying in bed and watching TV.

I just received a call from her that Rogers had an Emergency Alert with the TV BLASTING the alert sound.

It jolted her up and she injured herself where she had the surgery.

I get that this service is for emergencies, but WHY DOES THE AMBER ALERT NEED A JARRING SOUND?

Does Rogers not realize how that sound makes you recat when you are not expecting it?

She now has to book an appointment tomorrow with the doctor to make sure nothing is severly injured.

A message on the screen is fine, but that sound makes people ignore the message as they focused on stopping the sound.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply.  I thought there might have been a way to at least lower the volume or something on them.

If anyone else knows if the alerts play during PVR'd playback, sharing the information would be appreciated.

I'm an Advisor

No, the messages are not recorded or played back when watching recorded content. 

FYI - for those interested, here is a link about recent amendments made by the CRTC with respect to Emergency Alerts: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-444.htm

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It was broadcast on Bell satellite, so, Bell Fibe should be the same.  Every cable system in the area of interest should have broadcast that message.  This is a nationally mandated message alert system, so, by now, every cable company should be onboard.  I believe there are mandatory reporting requirements imposed by the CRTC on the various companies to detail their readiness for the broadcast system, but don't quote me on that.

I've Been Here Awhile

This is brutal - definitely a very poor implementation of a good idea. After one alert, the audio should be disabled, and the exit button should acknowledge until a DIFFERENT message is broadcast.  Pretty much makes it impossible to watch tv, causing people to turn it off which totally defeats the purpose.