How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

@OLDYELLRTurning off a cell phone isn't going to help with alerts on your TV Smiley Wink 
Beside, many people NEED to have their phones on 24/7 if they don't have a landline Smiley Wink 

I'm still trying to figure out why they send me an alert on my TV when I'm 250Km. WEST, and they were known to be traveling EAST.
Had this been a tornado warning for Toronto and it was heading east, they wouldn't be sending me an alert about that... <smh>

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Jo36 wrote:
Actually we don’t need to know about missing kid 100km away specially at midnight.
This amber alert is dangerous and people will ignore it the more it goes plus it’s noisy and scary .
We do have a choice and we do have the right to disable it. The same as we do have the right to ignore it.
I agree with all people saying it’s helpful but free will is important so that alert won’t have a negative impact on people and make them insensitive to danger

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/you-are-horrible-people/

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nissan1 wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out why they send me an alert on my TV when I'm 250Km. WEST, and they were known to be traveling EAST.

The coverage of the alert is not decided by the service provider, but rather by the entity that launches the alert. In this case the police decide how wide an area gets covered and in the case of many of these amber alerts, they go province-wide because it's easy to travel great distances these days in a short period of time.

If the alert is issued near a provincial border, the alert may even extend into another province, or country-wide.  The police have been using a "better safe than sorry" approach and the service provider must follow their directions.

If you wish to learn more about these alerts, please see the following link:

https://www.alertready.ca/#faq

P.S. I also believe that the alert system is currently utilized too often and in a geographically insensitive way, but that's the way it is.  Last night's alert is one of the few alerts that actually ended up with a result (read the news articles on the matter).  If you have a beef with the way it currently works, contact the people in the link above.

P.P.S.  If you do not wish to be bothered in the night on your phone, turn it off, or perhaps to silent/vibrate.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Nissan1 wrote:

@OLDYELLRTurning off a cell phone isn't going to help with alerts on your TV Smiley Wink 
Beside, many people NEED to have their phones on 24/7 if they don't have a landline Smiley Wink 

Had this been a tornado warning for Toronto and it was heading east, they wouldn't be sending me an alert about that... <smh>

That's the price you pay for abandoning your landline for a cellphone. We still have a landline even though there are 3 cellphones in the household, 2 of them new smartphones on 24/7 that got the alert. But I didn't even hear about the 11:30 p.m. alert until I asked, but I saw a lot of complaining about it on Facebook and the TV news. My landline still works (except for the cordless phones) when the power and Internet are out. As for this particular alert, I believe the abduction  took place in Brampton, but the car was spotted in Orillia, 122 km North.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

@57I wouldn't say it's over used, but you are right about "in a geographically insensitive way"
If I was in the area, or somewhere that they may be headed, for sure I would want to be alerted.
And it is really saddening how this situation turned out... but I am glad that someone spotted them and the (Bleepity Bleep) was caught!

I know (in this case) Rogers doesn't control where the alerts get sent, they just do as told... and they have straightened out most of the issues with alerts continuing for hours on most cable boxes (I believe hitting EXIT works on almost all boxes now Smiley Happy )

I have been in contact with 'the powers that be' about how the Alert system works a couple of times; they just aren't listening :\

I've Been Around

Amber alert hasbeen over for hours but alert still happening ontv. How do you get it to stop?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have one of the newer boxes running Navigatr firmware, you press the exit key when the alert is up.   If you have an older box with SARA firmware, there is probably nothing you can do, outside of contacting Rogers and complaining.

I was also wondering about the alert since normally they send out another alert that the alert has been cancelled.  I have not see that...  Looks like someone is asleep at the switch.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I had that old amber alert pop up on my TV yesterday over the top of a paused recording I was watching (not on the recording itself).  It said to press Exit to cancel and it worked on my SA8300HD (SARA).  It makes you wonder why they would broadcast a long-cancelled alert. Call wolf too often and people will cancel these without listening, defeating the purpose.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I guess it wasn't an old alert, but a new one. I don't recall the details and apparently there isn't a database of all the alerts issued available to the public. I believe the alert yesterday evening was for a parental abduction based on the mother's information. Turns out the father actually did have permission, the child was located and all turned out okay.

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/people-called-911-complain-amber-alert

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an FYI:  There will be no test of the Emergency Alert System in Ontario or Quebec today - supposedly due to the flooding - people are already "on edge" or "become confused", etc:

The following link shows the testing that will be taking place:

https://www.alertready.ca/

In my opinion, there's no real need for a test in Ontario since the system has been used several times already this year.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/may-8-wireless-test-alerts-skip-ontario-quebec/