How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

All they have to do is prompt me to press a button that I acknowledge I've read the message. Is that really to hard?

I can't believe they treat customers with older hardware like this, terrible. Funny I didn't get one single message on my iPhone, you'd think that'd be a good place to get it.

Unfortunately some people here would rather call us names than come up with practical solutions.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Youichi

In the end it's the system that the CRTC told the carriers to built. Rogers built it this way and hasn't changed it since the beginning. Now for why they haven't? God knows why.. As for the sound? Yes i agree that they need to change the sound as that is a bit annoying and the message should be remove once u press exit and not come back but I think they have rules they also have to follow with guidelines on how to show it, how many minutes get by and the message appears again and such.

On older boxes as indicated by a Rogers rep, they have said the message can not be removed. As of why? That's something their tech and developers would know.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Cornfed

I agree they should have it on there but it seems they picked not to do it on older boxes.

That will be coming soon.. Wait until your phone starts receiving the text message alert and popups in mid 2018-2019.
I Plan to Stick Around

I think it's totally unacceptable the tech team hasn't figured out a way to stop these on older boxes. Once I acknowledge the very serious and important warning, I should be free to enjoy the programming I pay for.

Thank god my families with Public Mobile for our cell phones. Can't wait until my cable contract runs out Smiley Happy
I Plan to Stick Around

The difference is, I'm sure they won't pop up every 2 minutes for 6 hours straight rendering your device useless
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Yoruichi wrote:

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @Headfake

Im not here to play politics on who controls who. In the END the government, the people of Canada and the CRTC made this alert system for the ones with children or family members missing and or weather related.

If you are reminded you don't really need cable, then that's ur choice to remove cable and go to whatever method you want. No one forced u to get cableSmiley Happy

Again none of u on here have any clue of having a family member missing or a child missing. (most likely) . You guys care more about ur tv viewing to be honest and shows alot.. I understand you want to watch tv but again this is important for others and helps them out. One of my family members had this child missing last year for well over 24hrs. Thankfuly the child was found DUE to someone watching this alert ( on Bell with the same sound and messages) and was found safe. Until many of you understand that fully, u will keep complaining.

Anyways in the end the system is made to find a missing person and or weather related. U agree the sound is a bit much and needs to be changed but I believe they picked that sound due to getting everyone's ttention. As posted above, a reply by Rogers was made on how to disable it.

Sorry but you've missed the point completely on this issue. This isn't caring or not caring about a missing child. This is about practicality versus dealing with an extreme annoyance. Its the difference between getting information out to people vs completely destroying someone's night of TV watching if you should have an older cable box.

When I got this alert on my old 8300 box, it was yet again a sudden air raid warning like wailing before an automated voice and message appeared. Even if that was jarring and annoying, fine a child was missing and I now know about it. The problem is why does this have to go on for about 6-7 HOURS NON-STOP?? Does Rogers think all their customers have memories of a goldfish and therefore need to be reminded of the same info over and over again with no end in sight? After 5 mins I turned the volume lower hoping the message would go away and after 20 mins I turned off the TV and went to my bedroom that fortunately had a newer box that could turn off the alert.

How about instead of making your TV completely unwatchable while the alert is still active, do this instead:

- Have several LIGHT beeps and then have the alert message appear with automated voice.

- Once the message has been read, leave the alert onscreen for a couple of more minutes so people will have time to read it at their own pace

- Have the message DISAPPEAR AND NOT COME BACK. Having an alert on your screen for a few minutes is more than enough time for everyone to read it and its 100% NOT neccesary for it to be repeated again and again. 

I think most people would be fine with the above rather than being neverendingly clubbed over the head with a loud alert that refuses to disappear for potentially hours on end if you're unfortunate enough to own an older box.

And all of this doesn't even include the fact that an Amber alert would be 1000x more effective if it was simply broadcast on the radio where people who are driving usually listen to and because they're on the roads they're more likely to spot the suspect or their vehicle than someone sitting on their couch watching TV at 2am in the morning hundreds if not thousands of kilometers away.

You clearly understand the point unlike some people that work for Rogers and think it's a better idea to insult and be rude to the customers that complain about a legitimate issue with the service they're paying for.

I Plan to Stick Around

It would be interesting to hear. Obviously it's up to each individual carrier to implement in the correct manner.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Cornfed

This link below is about weather BUT it's the same Comcast system we are supposed to get next year with Rogers. So they do as well have similar issues.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Emergency-Alert-System/td-p/942551

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/is-there-a-way-to-disable-the-emergency-alert-system-with-comcast....
I've Been Around

Actually we don’t need to know about missing kid 100km away specially at midnight.
This amber alert is dangerous and people will ignore it the more it goes plus it’s noisy and scary .
We do have a choice and we do have the right to disable it. The same as we do have the right to ignore it.
I agree with all people saying it’s helpful but free will is important so that alert won’t have a negative impact on people and make them insensitive to danger
I'm a Senior Advisor

If you don't want to be disturbed at night, turn off your cellphone.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario