How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Finally cancelled on my SA-8300.   

But, ridiculous none the same and I'm happy to see Roger's Twitter account being hammered by complaints.

It's ridiculous to develop a system that provides an override for users of newer boxes, while leaving those of us who happily purchased older boxes from Rogers, flapping in the wind....our complaints being dismissed, sometimes in a sanctimonious manner as if we don't care about abducted kids.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @utah

I wish the same on the older boxes. A way to disable the alert the same way they could on the Navigatr software. Hopefully they change this later on.
I Plan to Stick Around

I complained about this well over a year ago, so I'm not thankful of any changes coming soon.

I also don't expect Rogers to offer me an updated box at N/C while I'm a customer either....althought that's exactly what they should do if they can't provide comparable service across the board for all their customers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just experienced this this morning.  I think we all want to know about those issues and help where we can, but the implementation is poor.  I would be OK with a buzzer for a few seconds when it starts, and a quiet red bar across the bottom that gives the information.  A alarm after that for a couple of seconds every five minutes would be OK as well.   Let's pretend this is an emergency where I would like to tune into a news station to get more info.  This system would actually PREVENT me from obtaining any additional information on the emergency!  Not sure if this is a Rogers or CRT  screw-up.  Perhaps both.  Need to review the CRT requirements.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Grwebster wrote:

Just experienced this this morning.  I think we all want to know about those issues and help where we can, but the implementation is poor.  I would be OK with a buzzer for a few seconds when it starts, and a quiet red bar across the bottom that gives the information.  A alarm after that for a couple of seconds every five minutes would be OK as well.   Let's pretend this is an emergency where I would like to tune into a news station to get more info.  This system would actually PREVENT me from obtaining any additional information on the emergency!  Not sure if this is a Rogers or CRT  screw-up.  Perhaps both.  Need to review the CRT requirements.

Agreed, I want to know also, but the way it's being done is nothing short of dopey. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Grwebster

Agreed on the sound. That's also something I brought up to the Office of the President when speaking to them a while back and also the CRTC in a email. The message is to find those lost or taken but the sound is what is a bother to some.
I Plan to Stick Around

It's not just that it is bothersome, but that it could actually prevent me from getting important information in an emergency.  It completely takes over and renders the TV useless for gathering information on the emergency.

I Plan to Stick Around

I guess they don't want you watching any news from around the world, nothing matters but kids in Ontario.
I knew I'd get flak for complaining, same thing happens every time. You get people telling you that you don't care about kids, it must make them feel quite important. I just want a way to disable the alert once you've read it once or twice. Me seeing the alert 100 times isn't going to help find the child any quicker.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I've only seen the alert maybe 2 or 3 times and not having a Nextbox 3, I have no means to turn it off. In those cases the incident happened hundreds of kilometres away and the alert was not cancelled when it was resolved. The system needs to be fixed so it's actually useful, rather than being a severe annoyance to most cable customers.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @Headfake

Im not here to play politics on who controls who. In the END the government, the people of Canada and the CRTC made this alert system for the ones with children or family members missing and or weather related.

If you are reminded you don't really need cable, then that's ur choice to remove cable and go to whatever method you want. No one forced u to get cableSmiley Happy

Again none of u on here have any clue of having a family member missing or a child missing. (most likely) . You guys care more about ur tv viewing to be honest and shows alot.. I understand you want to watch tv but again this is important for others and helps them out. One of my family members had this child missing last year for well over 24hrs. Thankfuly the child was found DUE to someone watching this alert ( on Bell with the same sound and messages) and was found safe. Until many of you understand that fully, u will keep complaining.

Anyways in the end the system is made to find a missing person and or weather related. U agree the sound is a bit much and needs to be changed but I believe they picked that sound due to getting everyone's ttention. As posted above, a reply by Rogers was made on how to disable it.

Sorry but you've missed the point completely on this issue. This isn't caring or not caring about a missing child. This is about practicality versus dealing with an extreme annoyance. Its the difference between getting information out to people vs completely destroying someone's night of TV watching if you should have an older cable box.

When I got this alert on my old 8300 box, it was yet again a sudden air raid warning like wailing before an automated voice and message appeared. Even if that was jarring and annoying, fine a child was missing and I now know about it. The problem is why does this have to go on for about 6-7 HOURS NON-STOP?? Does Rogers think all their customers have memories of a goldfish and therefore need to be reminded of the same info over and over again with no end in sight? After 5 mins I turned the volume lower hoping the message would go away and after 20 mins I turned off the TV and went to my bedroom that fortunately had a newer box that could turn off the alert.

How about instead of making your TV completely unwatchable while the alert is still active, do this instead:

- Have several LIGHT beeps and then have the alert message appear with automated voice.

- Once the message has been read, leave the alert onscreen for a couple of more minutes so people will have time to read it at their own pace

- Have the message DISAPPEAR AND NOT COME BACK. Having an alert on your screen for a few minutes is more than enough time for everyone to read it and its 100% NOT neccesary for it to be repeated again and again. 

I think most people would be fine with the above rather than being neverendingly clubbed over the head with a loud alert that refuses to disappear for potentially hours on end if you're unfortunate enough to own an older box.

And all of this doesn't even include the fact that an Amber alert would be 1000x more effective if it was simply broadcast on the radio where people who are driving usually listen to and because they're on the roads they're more likely to spot the suspect or their vehicle than someone sitting on their couch watching TV at 2am in the morning hundreds if not thousands of kilometers away.