How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

This is the 2nd time it has happened. I can't change the channels when they are up. And pushing exit is a lost cause. I mean I live in King City and the storm they had the alert for was in Beaverton-north of Newmarket??  We did get a storm go through here but all we got was two or three flashes of lightning. lots of rain and some wind. It was all finished with around 2:15 and yet the stupid emergency alert was still going. They FINALLY decided to take it off at 3:08. YAY!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KarenGF:

What is the exact model number of your box?  This thread is about Navigatr, which is the firmware utilized on 4642, 8642, 9865 boxes. With this firmware, you should be able to hit exit and get rid of the alert.  (See post 93 of this thread)

Due to the limitations of the older boxes that run the SARA firmware, the alert cannot be dismissed using exit and I assume you wait for the end of the alert, perhaps turning off your TV in the meantime, or muting it if the alert has sound associated with it.

The alerts are different due to the limitations of the boxes issued by the various providers. 

The alerts can also appear to be from "outside" the affected area. This happens due to the limitations of the various head ends that feed Rogers customers.   It's even worse for Satellite customers (and some other customers who get their provider's feeds via satellite)  who may see alerts that are hundreds or thousands of miles away.

People who get their signals OTA (over the air, via antenna) can obviously get alerts that may be from outside the country - say Buffalo or Rochester, etc.

I've Been Around

My complaint is not about the warning. Even though the warning here was cancelled an hour ago I still see the bar. My complaint is that I have no sound on my TV and I cannot get it back. I turn it on and off again and it works for about 30 seconds, then it is back. I tried rebooting the box and still it came back.  

I Plan to Stick Around

I can relate to that, but an amber alert from outlying province, immediately

is a little overkill!

I have automatically exitted now since seeing redundacy for it and now you can appreciate that the alert goes unseen and unaware of what the alarm is for!

There is a point as to what the gov't dictates and disregards to privacy, but

we shouldn't be mandated before discussion!

Beyond surrounding and immediate areas is a little much!

Ed

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few days ago, there was a test of the system during the day.  I was listening to Stingray music on one of my older boxes. The test was extremely loud and there's no way to turn it off with the older boxes, so I turned down the volume.  Unfortunately, the test was repeated several times and after the third time, I turned the box off. I have no idea how many more times the test ran.

Since the system was used quite recently, I see no reason for the testing either.  This is nothing more than an annoyance that people will ignore.  This should be done via texts to cell phones and there should be an opt-out option for amber alerts. Red alerts for things like earthquakes, tornados, etc are fine, but amber, there should be an opt-out option.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

A few days ago, there was a test of the system during the day.  I was listening to Stingray music on one of my older boxes. The test was extremely loud and there's no way to turn it off with the older boxes, so I turned down the volume.  Unfortunately, the test was repeated several times and after the third time, I turned the box off. I have no idea how many more times the test ran.

Since the system was used quite recently, I see no reason for the testing either.  This is nothing more than an annoyance that people will ignore.  This should be done via texts to cell phones and there should be an opt-out option for amber alerts. Red alerts for things like earthquakes, tornados, etc are fine, but amber, there should be an opt-out option.

Monthly testing is a requirement  of the Canadian Alerting System, regardless of its recent use.

Be thankful its not a required weekly test like the American alerting system

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree. Its a small minor inconvenience to pay for a very important emergency alert system with huge benefits

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I am so sorry being insensitive!

***Its a small minor inconvenience***

to any Rogers customers, any inconvenience, whether minor or major

it is another inconvenience from Rogers!

Rogers need to "fully" review what they are considering dumping on customers!

nuff said

Ed

I've Been Here Awhile

You do realize that Rogers is required to do this by law, it isn't up to them. If you want to complain than do so to the government. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @lawny

Instead of blaming the carrier, maybe do some research to see that by law the CRTC and government passed this and the carriers must follow. So again do some research before trying to blame someone or a company that is following the rules.

I agree with Pauly. It's a small inconvenience yes but it's worth it. As for the sound? It needs to be lowered or changed yes but it's there to alert you of someone is missing. Hopefully no one u know goes missing in the feature as this will let others know that the person u know is missing and can help..