How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Baby found...no thanks to me, I was in my basement watching TV.  Also, besides not being outside monitoring any passing cars, I live 450 km away from the place where it happened.  I presume that the culprit could have made it here by now, since other drivers who might have spotted the culprit are driving on the highway and not watching TV.  If only my TV were closer to the highway...

The alert is still on my TV, of course.  Rogers support has a recorded message that tells me that if I get a NextBox, then I can dismiss the message.  That's offensive.  Someone sends a message by mistake and I have to upgrade my box just to dismiss the message?  My "next" box will be for my replacement service.  However, if you're not dumping Rogers, an upgrade will fix the problem apparently.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Strange.... I only saw the alert (using DTA-50) intermittently for about half an hour during the 6pm news.  Once with the sound alert that lasted about 30 seconds.   When I started watching TV at 8:30pm (using 8642 HDPVR box) there was no alert showing for the rest of the evening.

In any case I'm glad the baby was found safe and according to the news it was the amber alert that helped find him so quickly. 

Just a note,  You may not be out and about when an alert is issued but if a child is still missing a day or two later the information given on the alert could still play a part in finding him or her. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am of the mind, that i dont have an issue with the alterts PER SAY... but the system does need some tweeking.

A) Location - I am OK with even just amber alerts like this being broadcast.. but have to be for just a specific reasonable area.  200-250km or something from where it happened..  no point for a problem in london on, to be broadcast in ottawa.

B) Speed.. the message scrolls way too slow.

But overall.. the experience will vary based on your provider and your hardware.  All in all, i would guess generally its a HARDWARE limitation in the programming, etc possibly (in terms of ability of overlays, etc).

Rogers:
NB2 and 3 - Have it as a dismissable overaly

Older SARA boxes - an overaly, but is not dismissable
DTA - an overlay which is not dismissable

Bell:
Fibe - a dismissable overlay.
Satalite - Actually CHANGES the channel to a warning channel, regardless of what you were doing.

OTA:
On any CANADIAN channel.. it will be on the channel itself on the broadcast.. no way at all of removing it 😞

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I am of the mind, that i dont have an issue with the alterts PER SAY... but the system does need some tweeking.

A) Location - I am OK with even just amber alerts like this being broadcast.. but have to be for just a specific reasonable area.  200-250km or something from where it happened..  no point for a problem in london on, to be broadcast in ottawa.

B) Speed.. the message scrolls way too slow.

But overall.. the experience will vary based on your provider and your hardware.  All in all, i would guess generally its a HARDWARE limitation in the programming, etc possibly (in terms of ability of overlays, etc).

Rogers:
NB2 and 3 - Have it as a dismissable overaly

Older SARA boxes - an overaly, but is not dismissable
DTA - an overlay which is not dismissable

Thanks for posting because I turned the TV on after 7:30 and saw no alert. A wouldn't know whether dismissing the alert could or could not be implemented on boxes other than the Nextbox, but I suspect the will and budget isn't there to do so. But certainly the system needs to be tweaked to end the alerts soon after the emergency is over.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just watched a recorded program that had the emergency alert recorded and played back loud. I'm using a Cisco 9865HD PVR.

I'm a Senior Advisor

It appears that none of the channels and providers are on the same page regarding these alarms. My only encounter was the one from Orillia a few weeks ago  and it was live on the cable network while watching a recording in progress, not on the recording.

With all the terrorism happening around the world and even on this continent,  I hope they get it straightened out so we're not routinely dismissing Amber Alerts masquerading as Red Alerts.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

This Emergency Alert thing is annoying. I don't need to be lectured about how this would be important if there was a storm coming to my hood.  I am going to lodge a complaint with the CRTC. This is a terrible implementation of this 'feature'. The loud beeping shouldn't be so loud. And there should be an option to stop the current message and ignore further alerts about this alert. And as important as Amber Alerts are, they should not interrupt my viewing. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pgowdy wrote:

I just watched a recorded program that had the emergency alert recorded and played back loud. I'm using a Cisco 9865HD PVR.

Ontop of what the providers (rogers, bell, etc) will do  via the allerts, etc...

It appears that a few channels do it as well.

I think CTV was one of them.. the channel itself broadcasts an alert as well... no way of clearing, etc...

Since its on the feed.. it would be on any recordings as well 😞

I'm Here A Lot

I did the same as last time I got an amber alert. I reached for the ON/OFF power button on my remote to stop the audio screech from the alert.

Result: Never saw or read the amber alert details.

Until they get rid of the audio in the alerts and until I get CHOICE of turning on/off the service as an option...I will simply shut off the TV when it happens.

While I agree with the idea of the alert system, stupidity is its implementation means I and likely many others will ignore it.

Odd, on my cellphone where I have the option turned on and I believe usefull as I am moblie and not sitting in my house...I didn't get the alert.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I just pressed exit as per the notice on the TV screen.
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats