How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

With no way to shut off the audible portion my pvr has been shut off also. A simple "press exit to acknowledge alert" button would have kept me happy AND informed. Instead I'm frustrated with Rogers and enjoying a movie on a competing service. 

I've Been Here Awhile

It did on mine.

I'm an Advisor

Amber alert just got cancelled. Boy found safe and sound!

And no more infernal beeping!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a NB 3 and the alerts were recorded.  I was intially watching a show live while it was also being recorded.  I got so fed up with the alerts that I decided to watch the recording instead, and lucky me, there were the alerts.  At least I could ff through them, resulting in missing parts of the show.  The robotic voice was totally unnecessary.  The banner alone was sufficient IMO, and the loud beeping was ridiculous. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@robindp wrote:

No, the messages are not recorded or played back when watching recorded content. 

FYI - for those interested, here is a link about recent amendments made by the CRTC with respect to Emergency Alerts: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-444.htm

I was watching a show I was still recording and at first thought it was on the recording, but it was live, coming through the cable network, so I could pause and skip back to catch the dialogue the siren blocked out. I guess the only way to avoid it is to record everything and not watch until the alert is over.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

Yes, my wording was poorly chosen - this is what I meant.

The real test, as you stated, is to watch the recorded content when the alert has been cancelled and is no longer occuring. 

I've Been Around

I think it's a rather smug answer to say that Amber alerts are serious and ask if the person read it. The point is that the alerts are disturbingly loud and they also block out the soundtrack for the show you are trying to watch. I had my show interrupted four times making it difficult to follow. While I recognize that Amber alerts are important, it serves no purpose to blast them into my home at 10:00 pm, especially when it isn't even from my city. If you must do it then make it a silent alert that comes along the bottom of the screen instead of the middle. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Datalink wrote:

If this was a tornado alert for your location, you probably wouldn't be saying that.

Orillia is about 250 km away from me and I wouldn't worry if there was a a tornado there, but I suppose an abductor could take a child that distance in a couple of hours.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, can't argue with the location issue, but then you would have to get into the nuts and bolts design of the system.  I suspect that it was made really simple, alert in province X, alert the whole province, regardless of distance.  That way, the police or RCMP don't have to figure out what area to cover and which selection to make, if there is any selection at all.  However, that's just speculation.

I Plan to Stick Around

@robindp wrote:

Yes, my wording was poorly chosen - this is what I meant.

The real test, as you stated, is to watch the recorded content when the alert has been cancelled and is no longer occuring. 

yes, I just went back and started the recording at the beginning and the alert was there so it definitely was recorded.  I'm just glad it was at the beginning of Quantico and not The Walking Dead Smiley Mad