How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: How Do I Turn Off Emergency Alerts On Navigatr?

Did you read what was the problem? Missing child that was abducted so that's something serious that many need to know.

The on-screen message is appropriate. The blaring Alarm sound is not.

It causes people to disregard the message and find a way to turn it off as quickly as possible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If this was a tornado alert for your location, you probably wouldn't be saying that.

I'm an Advisor

I would like to see different colors used in the alerts - red for weather/public safety, Amber/yellow for amber alerts, etc. 

The blaring alarm should be reserved for weather/public safety, or situations where missing the alert could endanger the life of the viewer. 

I feel sorry for anyone who heard that blaring noise via their surround sound speakers. My ears still hurt!

I've Been Around

I wholly agree! The alert has been going off for over half an hour and is giving me a headache!

I've Been Here Awhile

Last summer we did have tornado alerts, and it was equally annoying. Once someone is alerted, they don't need to be constantly alerted unless something changes. Otherwise they won't be watching for when something does change (ie tornado warning becomes a watch).

Before posting here I called *611, and there's a two hour wait for cable technical support (up from a 1:30h wait the first time I called a minutes prior), so it's not a few people that are annoyed.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @dlgm

I agree but it also tells u on the screen press exit to stop or mute the tv very simple.. If this was your kid missing or some sort of very bad weather you wouldn't be saying that but again to each their own.

Anyways this was addressed when it first came out and the CRTC said the sound is why alerts are more noticeable.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Datalink

Agreed. Again many people don't understand why the sound is there and what's going on.
I Plan to Stick Around

I understand that this is something serious. However, shouldn't this be visible in the affected and surrounding/immediate areas and not everywhere?

I've Been Here Awhile

Completely agree about the alert sound. I've had to just turn off the TV - why does the same alert have to be repeated every two minutes with the same obnoxious sound? I'm ok with the banner at the top of the screen, but the alarm is making watching TV impossible. And now that I've turned off the TV altogether, it's also counter-productive.

Is there a way to turn off the alarm?

I've Been Here Awhile

While I fully agree that we need to know, the sound was way to loud on my tv and scared everyone. I don't care if they leave the red bar across the top but I shouldn't have to hear that noise constantly. I have turned off my tv which completely defeats the purpose. I don't blame rogers they are just following the rules, I think the CRTC needs to re-think these rules. Maybe a lower toned beep when the alert is first released or if there are any changes to the alert and then after that just leave the red bar across the top of my tv showing the info.