Hooking up Nextbox to Amplifier/TV/BluRay

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hooking up Nextbox to Amplifier/TV/BluRay

Hello there

We just picked up a Nextbox 3.0, but the ports are different from our old HD terminal so the way it was configured previously (by a technical guru, not me!) no longer apply. As such I am looking for some help hooking the Nextbox up with my Denon Amplifier, BluRay player and TV.

Right now the Nextbox is connected to the TV through HDMI so the sound is coming through the TVs speakers. I want to use speakers connected to the Amplifier for TV sound (instead of the TV's speakers). The blu ray also needs to be connected to the TV for audio and to the amplifer for sound.

So the devices to be connected together are a Samsung TV, Nextbox, Panasonic Bluray, Denon Amplifier. I have looked for some schematics/tips online with limited success. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hooking up Nextbox to Amplifier/TV/BluRay

I’m no guru by any means but it should be fairly easy; just plug in the NextBox HDMI cord to your Denon’s HDMI 1, the bluray player’s cord to the Denon’s HDMI 2, then connect the Denon’s HDMI OUT to your TV’s HDMI IN; whenever you watch the TV keep it on the same input channel (whichever corresponds to that TV HDMI IN); to flip between blueray and NextBox use the Denon’s remote, and to change network channels, of course, you use the NextBox remote
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with Smartswines description.. that is all that should be needed.

HDMI will pass through the audio from the box, to the recieiver.. just need to make sure your on the right input.. and it should display it out to the TV.

Now..the nextbox 3 is having HDMI CEC issues.. which sometimes can play around with receivers/TVs and auto changing inputs, etc.. you may have to disable on the receiver, any sorts of features which allow that auto swtiching for everything to work properly.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks! Will give it a shot tonight!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Yes, thought that was too easy. There is no HDMI port on the Denon amp.
The model is the Denon AVR-1706.
I have a silver ultralink cable still connected to the amp in the 'COAX-1' port (see rear image at http://www.hifidatabase.com/Detailed/Denon_AVR-1706_4241.php). This cable used to connect the amp to the old HD box though I don't know which port 😞
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah, ok, so no video.. an older receiver, audio only.

You were using the digital cable, pluged into the coax port on your receiver, and likely the coax out on the older rogers box.

The NB3.. doesnt have a coax out... not alot of NEWER devices do any more.. its more being phased out.

Never fear.. you do have SOME options!  it will just require getting a new cable.
You will need to buy a toslink opitical audio cable.
this will go into the OPT1 on your receiver... and the optical audio out, on the back of the NB3

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks, and I presume the HDMI cable will still run from Nextbox to TV for TV video (I'll just turn the TV volume right down to use the amp for sound), HDMI will run from bluray to TV for bluray video, and audio connections for bluray will just run from the amp to the bluray as they did previously?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct. Each device will have an hdmi out (or other if it has to, like component, composite, etc) to the tv.
As well as an audio cable of some form. Either the one you used before, optical audio, etc. depending on the device.

Now, you may have to change some settings in your receiver. Not sure how not works. If you just chose inputs, choose that one.
If it's one where there is the tv selection, you may have to go in and change the settings to say your using the opt1 now instead.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

All sorted now! Everything is working perfectly 🙂
Thanks for all the help
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No prob 🙂

Enjoy.