High sound volume on start up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

High sound volume on start up

Whenever I first turn my system on (running through my AV setup using Rogers NextBox PVR 47C) the sound is really loud. Once I change the channel the sound goes back to normal and stays that way. Bit of an annoying problem that only started when I began using this latest Rogers box). Any ideas on how to fix it?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: High sound volume on start up

@Spiff27 wrote:

Whenever I first turn my system on (running through my AV setup using Rogers NextBox PVR 47C) the sound is really loud. Once I change the channel the sound goes back to normal and stays that way. Bit of an annoying problem that only started when I began using this latest Rogers box). Any ideas on how to fix it?

Verify your AV equipment is all running the latest firmware. What is happening is your box is starting on PCM audio output, then when you change channels it switches back to Dolby Digital. My 4K PVR does the same thing when it's connected to my Yamaha RX-V781. 

If you aren't running 5.1 or higher surround sound then just set the Rogers box to output PCM/Other. If you are running surround sound then leave it at Dolby Digital and hopefully Rogers releases a firmware update to the box to correct this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, as mentioned by @gp-se above, you have an HDMI handshake issue.  Once you change the channel, the handshake takes place properly and you get DD5.1 audio to your AVR if you have one.

The typical solution is to power on the AVR first, if you have one, wait a few seconds, then power on the TV and the STB.

Another option is to put a channel change at the end of the sequence so that you are then on the channel that you want to be on.  For example, if you have a Harmony remote, put the channel change at the end.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your replies @57and @gp-se. I having a Harmony Elite with Yamaha Rx-V1900 AV running 5.1 and Pioneer Elite 60 plasma. I updated my Harmony firmware as @gp-se suggested and reordered my Harmony setup as @57 suggested so the Yamaha turned on first and...voila! It worked!

Not sure if one or both solutions did it but the problem is now solved. Thank you both so much!

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation