Harmony Remote and Ignite

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Harmony Remote and Ignite

Hey guys so I just got the ignite tv installed last night.  Set up my harmony remote with hub to operate it.  It only sort of works.  I tried it with both Xfinity Xi6-A and X1. It works for the most part but channel selection, when I dial in a series of numbers, is super slow and sometimes does not react.  Other times it picks it up twice.   Very annoying.  All the other stuff works pretty well, like guide, channel up and down, etc.  Any suggestions?  I have already adjusted the command repeats and this just makes a mess of it even further!

thanks!

julia

***Added Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Harmony Remote and Ignite

@Juliafoo : Do the channels change properly when you use the Rogers remote?  Sometimes if commands are "slow to take" the box (system) may be busy doing other things. This is especially true when you are new and the system is doing lots of background configuring, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there when I am using the harmony remote, using Xi6-A device configuration, dialing in a channel by number is extremely slow and sometimes only recognizes the second or third number or make double entries.  So if I dial in “476” I might get “76” or 447766” or any other random combination.  Tried changing the command repeats to no real advantage.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Juliafoo :  Please answer the first question in post 564, which responded to your similar questions in post 563.  Sometimes certain remotes/equipment may have issues with IR interference.  Check out the following thread on the topic.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-hdtv-high-definition-television-including-lcd-plasma/64463-your-...

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi ok sorry, in answer to your question, the actual Rogers remote works perfectly. Funnily enough, using the harmony app on my phone or iPad works better than using the harmony remote!

i will check out the link you sent.  Thank you.

julia

I Plan to Stick Around

Some obvious things ...

Is iPhone perfect, or just not as bad (you say “better”).   I assume iPhone is used in exact same seating position as the remote.  

Are other buttons on Harmony sluggish (eg INFO or GUIDE).?

Remote betteries are good?

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there thank you for  that article.  Very interesting.  I think if IR interference is my problem then I have many culprits in my set up.  65 inch LCD tv, the STB is on a glass shelf and I also have some old IR Extenders that I am not sure what they are connected to but are hanging down behind the stereo equipment flashing away at all times.  I will try to clean up all possible IR interference issues and let you know if there is any improvement.

Thank you!

I Plan to Stick Around

Well I would say the iPhone is considerably better but not perfect.  Same seating position when testing remotes.  Also, the harmony remote sits in a recharger when not in use so I think the batteries should be fine.  It has no trouble operating the other equipment - Apple TV, vcr, amplifier.  

Thanks

julia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Juliafoo wrote:

...I also have some old IR Extenders that I am not sure what they are connected to but are hanging down behind the stereo equipment flashing away at all times.

If the extenders are not used any more, please unplug them. That may be enough.  As mentioned in my link, extenders are very prone to IR interference.  If that doesn't work, try turning off the TV and change channels on Rogers. See if the channel changes properly by powering the TV back on to the new channel.  Leave the TV off for a minute so that any stray IR from the TV dissipates before testing the channel changes.  Good luck. As noted in the link, there are lots of possibilities for IR interference and you need to rule them out one at a time.

You can also try getting really close to the Rogers box with the Harmony to see if that helps - another indication that the frequencies are correct, but that something is blocking the proper signal, or enhancing the signal so that two signals are "heard" as in your example of channel 447766....

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there thanks for the info on which model to use. I have added the Xi6-A to my harmony but it is so sluggish to respond that it is almost useless any thoughts?  

Thanks

Julia

Topic Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 in conversation