HIGH DEF OnDemand Movies not in 5.1 sound - why not?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

HIGH DEF OnDemand Movies not in 5.1 sound - why not?

Part of the movie experience is 5.1 SURROUND SOUND. It annoys me when I pay Rogers OnDemand $7.99 for a newly released Hollywood blockbuster HIGH DEFINITION MOVIE and only get BASIC 2.0 sound. Surely, it must be possible for the Rogers OnDemand High Def movies to be presented with 5.1 Surround just as they would be on DVD.

I know that not all movies are available in 5.1, but new movies like 'Inception' and the latest 'Harry Potter' definitely are.

Can someone from Rogers tell me why the NEW High Definition movies are NOT DELIVERED IN 5.1, and when they will be?

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: HIGH DEF OnDemand Movies not in 5.1 sound - why not?

You probably won't get a reply from Rogers on this one, so instead I will provide my educated guess.

The ROD servers are already overwhelmed. In order to provide 5.1 sound vs the 2.0 stereo they send now would take more processing and more bandwidth that their servers and system can't handle.

Another reason is probably most people use their TV speakers to listen to tv/movies.. If most of the people only listen in 2.0 there isn't much demand for rogers to upgrade to offer 5.1.

I have stopped using Rogers On Demand and have started using netflix as they offer 5.1..
I Plan to Stick Around

Chris, thanks for your reply.  While it sucks, it does make some sense.  I wish someone from Rogers would confirm.

I would love to try NetFlix, but am a little scared about the download sizes while keeping within Rogers’ 60 Gig monthly usage limits.  I guess NetFlix has a better selection too. 

I find that Rogers’ selection of new and recently released OnDemand HD movies is limited.  Sometimes I look for a movie which I know is out on DVD and discover it isn’t available through Rogers OnDemand.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Netflix selection for new suff isn't good.. You really have to buy/rent a bluray to get new stuff and the best audio..
I've Been Around

I have noticed the same problem and I am really annoyed about it too.  They offer HD Channels in Surround sound....I am pretty sure they offered surround sound on ROD before.  I fiddled with my tv and surround sound receiver for 30 mins before I gave up and checked another HD channel which did have 5.1.  Who needs to watch the Tour de France in 5.1?  ha ha.  

I may try netflix shortly.

I'm Here A Lot

I have same problem--(following is my post)

I have found no surrounding audio available from Rogers since July 2nd. I request you to check your TV channel (For example, #537 HDNet, #2 TVO, #61 PBS, #530 Omni) if you have home theatre through an optical connection from set top box (STB). I had surrounding audio effect before July 2nd. I'm not sure it is my connection fault, or Rogers changes my STB setting or Rogers degrades the due audio quality because Rogers promises all digital TV packages have surrounding audio effect if the original source supports surrounding audio.

I think it is Rogers default, because Rogers does not fulfil its audio quality standard. You can get Rogers promis that all TV packages are aired with 5.1 sound if the source is 5.5 sound.

We should together ask Rogers to fulfil its standard.

I'm Here A Lot

I have found some of programs (for example, Rad #541, Treasure #538, HDNet #537) have resumed surrounding sound already. But, they are not many, we need to ask Rogers completely solve this audio quality problem.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I get Dolby Digital on most channels.. Usually it's the Prime Time shows and football that have surround sound.
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers needs to invest its system more money to make sorrinding sound available. In fact, in comparison with basic 2 channel, 5.1 tracks do not spend bandwidth usage too much, according to my estimation, only less than 10%. Since current overwhelming bandwidth means Rogers has more customers and more income. To keep the current customers,

Rogers must keep its audio standard promise.

I've Been Around

I can see  there are some old threads on this, dating back to 2011 but...

...last time I used OnDemand I found the HD picture was perfectly fine but was disheartened to realize the sound coming through was just stereo.  This is a big drawback if I want to watch a "blockbuster" type film using OnDemand and the picture is HD but the sound is no better than an old TV show.

I wanted to see if this has changed (and if not, when it will) and/or if there is a way to tell if an OnDemand movie has 5.1 or Dolb Digital sound.

Thanks!