HDTV question

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

HDTV question

I just bought a HDTV and the picture quality looks terrible.

Do I need to get a new cable or a new box?

I'm using an old pink cable that we have had installed in my home for over 30 years and the box I have is a Scientific Atlanta.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: HDTV question

Would need a little more info.. as to WHICH specific Scientific Atlanta box you do have..

But MOST of them (other than the 8300HD, etc) were SD boxes.

So that LIKELY is whats going on here.
Its an SD box.. which is pushing out a 480i max signal to the TV.. which the TV will often then UPSCALE and STRETCH to the larger size... but it looks AFUL.

All in all you would probably be best to look at getting an HD box.

(as for the cable.. its hard to say.. MAY be fine might not be.  If you call in to order/switch the box.. you could arange to have a tech come out and set it up.. which at that point they can check the signal quality, etc through that cable, etc.)

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I assume you want to set up the video resolution on your SA8300HD PVR. When I got mine, it didn't automatically work correctly and the picture  was the wrong aspect ratio. Some people are file with watching stretched pictures, but they drive me nuts. I finally found a link to the Video Setup Wizard on Rogers, I bookmarked it, but it's gone now. I just found it again using the Wayback Machine.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080621111741/http://www.rogershelp.com/DigitalCable-Ontario/article.php...

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Gosh I just got a box recently (I was using analog cable until the Summer) and now I have to get another box? My box is a Scientific Atlanta DTV E940.

Could I just trade in my old box for a new one or do I have to pay extra?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so that is the standard SD box.  (well, the newest one that they have)

But yes, its only Standard Deffinition.

I am assuming you are RENTING it?

You can take it back to any rogers store, and exchange it for an HD box.
There IS a slight price difference though, the SD box is a $5 rental.. the HD is around $7.50 BUT after 3 years, you own it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok. I upgraded and the picture quality looks so much better. The problem is that not all channels looks crisp and clear. I was watching some hockey last night via the NHL Centre Ice package and the picture looks pixilated and grainy. Yet when I went to watch CBC the picture looked crisp and clear!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Depending on your package, etc.. some channels may still be in SD, vs HD.. so they can still come in lower quality.

Other than that.. sometimes signal can make a difference. 

if you give a call into rogers, then can check the signals with you on thing, see if they are in range or not, etc...
And if they are out of wack, can arrange for a tech to come out and swap some things around.