HDMI Blocked/Copy Protected - HDMI input Blocked

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

HDMI Blocked/Copy Protected - HDMI input Blocked

I have had a HD box for the longest time and more recently up until about 9 months ago I finally got the HD PVR box (It was the grey coloured box, can't recall the model#).  I've been using the HDMI connection from the HD boxes to my HDMI input on my TV for at least 3 years now, up until 2 nights ago.  It looks like a software update was pushed to the box and after it rebooted, I got that message as listed in the subject line: HDMI Blocked/Copy Protected - use Component inputs instead.  I called Rogers tech support and went through a 10 minute waste of time with the tech. I call it a waste of time because he had me disconnect power to the TV and box, wait about 30 secs and power up.  I already did this before calling but I had to follow the steps with him nonetheless. Guess what? It didn't resolve the issue. He created a ticket for me to exchange the box for the Nextbox 8642HD and I had the same issue with the new box.  I called tech support again, hoping to get a tech who knew what the issue was and who could honestly tell me what the problem is and if there's a fix.  Instead I got another case# created for yet another exchange.  I no longer get that message, but all I have is a blue screen using HDMI.  No pic whatsoever.

Unfortunately I didn't realize that a software push happened just before the HDMI port crapped out on me. I took my own HD box 4642HD that I hadn't been using for a few weeks to see if I could use the HDMI port on that before actually connecting the coax cable.  I had no problems with HDMI output.  I plugged in the coax, there was a software push immediately and now my own HD box that I purchased is screwed. Rogers forced a push onto my own box and screwed me out of a working HDMI port.

I'm going to escalate this issue, but I wanted to post this message as a warning/heads up in case anyone else comes across this problem...

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: HDMI Blocked/Copy Protected - HDMI input Blocked

Did you change the cable and did you check if your TV has a firmware update available? HDMI is very tricky and I have seen tons of these issues at work where the culprit is the cable itself. Are you going straight to the TV and did you try a different input on the set? If you have a second HDMI TV or computer monitor, see if it works there just to make sure it is not a TV compatibility issue. Finally, the only cables you should have to the box are power and coax. Out should be just HDMI and nothing else.
P.S. if your TV has HDMI CEC, or any other HDMI control like Viera Link, Aquos Net, Bravia Sync, etc., turn it off.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with mousetamer

HDCP, is like a signal that is sent along with the signal... its to help prevent from unathorized copying of stuff, etc.

But if running straight from the Box to the TV, (not into a DVR, etc) you shouldnt be getting this.. unless it somehow beleives that the TV is a recording device, etc.. or like mouse said, if its a faulty/cheap cable, perhaps it isnt broadcasting a reply back properly that the device is ok.

I agree with trying to swap out the cables firstly.

I have 2 of the newer boxes on the newer guides, both running HDMI fine... my PVR is even running into a Onkyo surround sound, then out of there into the TV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I can second that having the tv firmware upgrade has caused a fix for one of my friends who experienced this issue. its likely a hdcp handshake issue but the good news is you can use component analog hd cable in the meantime untill you flash the new firmware on your tv or try a new cable.

I've Been Here Awhile

This has recently happened to me on Thursday..
I have a Samsung UN55D6500. Was previously using a Bose HDMI cord.. when on Thursday, this issue/annoying problem occured .. I went ahead and replaced the HDMI, with no luck..
Re: your suggestion to "flash the new firmware on your tv..
Question: can you tell me how to execute this process..
Note: I checked the software ver.. on my tv, and it's current
Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @Homegirl,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

I understand you may have received an update to your PVR and now you're no longer able to record due to receiving a Blocked/Copy Protected error message. So far you've confirmed your Samsung UN55D6500 55 inch 3D LED TV has the latest f/w update (ver.1.0). If so, it looks like you may need to also update your HDMI cable (hopefully this is not the case).

Now a days there are so many different types of HDMI cables ranging from prices of $3 for a basic 6ft cable to $69 for the same 6ft in length but more advanced. That's because the cables are designed for different applications ranging from cables specifically for in-vehicle HD distribution, to cables designed to enable “recording” over HDMI and support for future IP-based applications such as DLNA, UPnP, IPTV, LiquidHD. I would suggest trying another cable to start with but keep in mind we can't guarantee this will work, but don't worry your new Community family will try our best to find a solution. Smiley Wink

I must have spent a whole day myself looking for the right Mini-HDMI cable for my HD Canon camcorder and found out pretty fast what specification features were included or not included.

Hope this helps,

RogersArthur

I've Been Here Awhile

thank you - however, I was lucky to have found another forum that proposed as simple restart of procedure - 1. powered off the PVR, then TV..  and then powered back on - in the reverse order... and that magically worked..  

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @Homegirl, That's Excellent Smiley Happy Thanks for sharing your solution wit the Community.

RogersArthur

I've Been Around

Home girl

You are the BEST. I was so in love with the remote to turn on the PVR and TV at the same time that I would have never thought of your simple solution. Rogers is only good to cash in monthly instead of helping us, maybe it's about time to change to Bell.