HD Quality inconsistency across HD channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

HD Quality inconsistency across HD channels

In general, for HD channels , I find that :

-many HD channels are perfect and a pleasure to watch.

-some are simply OK ; perhaps the source is lacking ( eg older vseions on NCIS seem almost DVD quality)

-some go from perfect to sepia-like,  within a program ( eg Agent Carter ; could be intentional I suppose)

-some are clear,  but very washed out/too bright eg ELLEN in CTVBC ( channel 581 for me)

-most commericals are perfect

-the odd commerical is washed out/too bright

Do others have similar findings?  I expect poor quality for the non-HD channels , but was hoping for more consnstency across the HD channels.

I have the 9865, and a tech was here a month ago for other issues and confirmed signal quality is excellent to this terminal and others. He even changed connectors at the house entrance at local street cable box.  So I am assuming it's the programming, compression etc, and nothing do with hardware.

Reason I am asking - I was having some challenges with my " calbrated" settings on a new TV (which perhaps now more clearly highlights poor quaility soruces), until I realized there was a huge varation in picture quality depending on the channel I was on. Dont have the issue with blu-ray, roku, pc, etc... just cable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: HD Quality inconsistency across HD channels

My friend got a newer (around xmas time) Samsung Smart TV.. bigger than the one i have.. but similar.

Not sure if the settings are THAT Different.. but with his NB3 (9865) its almost like the contrast was WAY to high comming out of the rogers box.
I dont see that on mine though.

(he watches a lot of hockey.. and had to play with the settings, to get it better.. the white ice was BLINDING white.)

Unfortunately there are no real settings on the box in those cases Smiley Sad

Beyond that.. it could just be a variation on WHAT exact content is being streamed at the time, from the channel.. new/vs old.. the quality of that stream to begin with, etc.. 
I know with my 5 year old, we watch a lot of Disney Jr, etc.
Its a MIX of shows.. mostly HD.. and those come through clear, crisp, good color.. but you get some of the SD stuff they push.. (even though it should be upscaled on the HD channel)... just looks MEH.. semi blurry/blocky.. colors are not great, etc.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Some networks broadcast 1080i (e.g. CTV), others 720p (e.g. CBC). Since I sit about 12 ft from my 50" screen, I really can't tell the difference most of the time. I have noticed that some pictures just seem sharper than others, but I figure it's a lot to do with the original videotape quality, camera lens, lighting  and skill of the cameraman.

Also, the cable signal is compressed as opposed to the other sources mentioned.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

@Mediaman wrote:
-many HD channels are perfect and a pleasure to watch.

-some are simply OK ; perhaps the source is lacking ( eg older vseions on NCIS seem almost DVD quality)

-some go from perfect to sepia-like,  within a program ( eg Agent Carter ; could be intentional I suppose)

-some are clear,  but very washed out/too bright eg ELLEN in CTVBC ( channel 581 for me)

-most commericals are perfect

-the odd commerical is washed out/too bright

Do others have similar findings?

Hello @Mediaman,

- Some scenes in NCIS (especially footage of freighters, destroyers, military action, etc) are standard definition clips that are stretched and presented in HD, which is why they look fuzzy and VHS/DVD-like. Noticed this when watching on Shomi. 

- Agent Carter does use a Sepia-like tint in many scenes. This is intentional as the show takes place in post-WW2 America. Adds some cool ambiance.

- Ellen is a 'bright' and very overlit show - looks that way on my TVs too. Intense whites and blues, I reduce my brightness to compensate. 

Don't think anything is wrong with your calibration, so don't worry! Smiley Happy.  Enjoy the new TV!

I'm an Advisor

Here is an Agent Carter trailer from Comic-con, notice the Sepia-tinge to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Zl75MzJd8

Love this show, so much character - also fun to see a beautiful woman kicking butt!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The problem is compatibility issues , now that we are getting on the market 4-K new TV monitors with 3-D possibilities , Also Drivers on Smart T-V's has to be uploaded monthly for new content . The signal come compresed (rad) and has to be uncompresed at the box , also the discrambling has to be done on the BOX-Filter , Power comes a 60 cycles ( electricity ) , if there is flactuations it will disturb and distrupt picture clarity , anothe issue is plasma tv's versus LED and some others like the new Chinese displays using different protocols for color and contrast , example ( Hains ) , Best is to put the adjustment to Cinema ,, and leave it there and do not adjust it manually .

Garbage in garbage out is the moto . Disney uses high quality inputs to broadcast , old Colombo shows is such poor quality that it will not fill the whole TV display . All depends what is being broadcasted . Copied CD's , Blue-ray etc are all different qualities , anothe issue is Hi-Fidelity sound that is coming out from the new tv's , also the volume is LOW .

I agree , also put in mind that the discramling will make it loose quality of video like resolution and color.

A quick note on SHOMI , you will get better quality content from the internet connection on the PC , than your TV hooked to the Cable.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @VITALLY,

Not sure if your comments were directed to me. Agent Carter intentionally has a color shift, not due to technical incompatibilities, etc. The tint exists because it is an artistic decision by the content creators, which is why the tint also shows up on computer, tablet, phone, etc. 

I Plan to Stick Around

If you like that also watch Xena , you might like it
I'm an Advisor

@VITALLY wrote:
A quick not on SHOMI , you will get better quality content from the internet connection on the PC ,, than your TV hooked to the Cable .

True, I am using my computer connected to my TV and an Xbox 360. 

I'm an Advisor

@VITALLY wrote:
If you like that also watch Xena , you might like it

Yup, enjoyed Xena when it was fit's airing in the 90s and still enjoying in reruns. Lucy Lawless and Renne O'Connor - wow!