HD Box Using both HDMI and component/composite video, simultaniously

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

HD Box Using both HDMI and component/composite video, simultaniously

Hey guys,  you know i know the boxes pretty well, so i know they are capable of doing both.  They have HDMI, Component, and composite video out on them.  Thats no the question.

Just curious, if anyone has any experience, running BOTH types of connections out of the box.. at the same time. 
Well, they both wont necessarily have the end device, turned ON at the same time.. only one or the other.

But just curious if anyone has done it before.. if there is an issue that when the box starts up with one, it detects the connection, so it turns of the other, or something like that.

I currently only have an SD box in the basement.  Currently composite out, to a spliter.  Then from there, one to the 21" CRT tv.. and one out to my digital projector.

The projector, has HDMI on it, and i am thinking of upgrading to an HD box for down there.  Then i will get the slightly better picture, as well as then the box down there can use the WHPVR as well.
Thing is, dont always have the screen down.. sometimes its just as easy if its just for my son to watch to just turn on the TV.  Well the TV doesnt have HDMI... but it does have component and composite on it.

This way, I can run one feed out to the projector, and one to the TV. 

I would like to hear your guys opinions on it, before i go and do it (as it will require a bunch of work to switch it around, etc.. and dont want to do it, if there will be too many issues :P)

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersRavi
Retired Moderator

Re: HD Box Using both HDMI and component/composite video, simultaniously

Hey Gdkitty,

Although I haven't tested this myself I believe you might run into complication as the system might shoot out an error message something along the line of  "HDCP Error Message". Wouldn't recommend to do so, but not sure if anyone has tried it yet.

RogersRavi

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I sorta tested it on my hd box upstairs. Hdmi and component. Switched between inputs, and did show on both. Turned box off and on and seemed still to work. Not sure if it would stop after a box reset, etc.

Also have to convince the wife as well 😛

Highlighted
I've Been Around

hello ... wondering if you did some setting on your box ...? because since i have connected HDMI, the component doesn't work any more . thnx
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i have switched to pure HDMI on it upstairs.. so its possible they have changed settings/update since then to make this not work.

Currently in the basement, i have the compoent going out to the progector, and the OLD basic tv there, via the coax.  Once i put the audio out on the component, the coax still works, but only for video, the audio is cut off, once i put in the component audio out.  Luckiy i am doing it to a cheap stereo surround sound, so i can get audio for either one way or the other.

I think it limits to one output, for some reason.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There should be no problem running more than one output at a time, the only time you will ever run into a problem is if one of those outputs is HDMI, then there will be a problem.  You see, the HDMI uses a copy protection called HDCP, so if its connected to the box, and another output is connected, then the copy protection will be disabled on the other port because component or composite does not use HDCP, so it blocks it untill you correct it. The only time it will ever work is if the cable company sends the signal to allow hdmi and another output simultaniously,  Now if u want to output the hd to 2 sources, then i suggest use the component cables, you can split the signal to both a projector and a flat screen at the same time, because component is using analog signals, even though its still hd.  hope this helps

I Plan to Stick Around

I wanted to do this as I have 2 tv's set up around my bar and wanted to run both Hi Def at the same time so I called Rogers and asked if the box would output from hdmi and component video at the same time because those are the types of wires I was going to run to the 2 sets and they assured me that the box would indeed do that.......So I drywalled everything then went and purchased a box and got everything setup but when I tried turning both sets on at the same time connected to 1 set top box (1hdmi, 1 component) it just wouldn't work.....So, of course I got right back on the phone to Rogers and this girl tells me there's no way and that I'd have to buy some sorta splitter etc...etc....I wasn't a happy camper but managed to work around it by hooking one up to just the coax out of the wall which actually wasn't too bad on that small of a set (22") but I could have used the composite or S video out as well just not 2 hi def outputs at the same time and by using the coax I"m able to watch a different channel on each tv at the same time so didn't work out too badly.....DD

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

first things first, the reps on the phone dont know everything, its not a bad thing im not knocking them but some things are beyond the scope of their work. secondly,  you should run analog component HD wires to both tv,  you can easily split it because its analog,  so even if u drywalled and patched over the wires, you can tape a component cable, pull it behind the wal to your tv and it should work.

I Plan to Stick Around

I thought it was a pretty basic question the 1st time I called and she sounded like she knew exactly what I was talking about and agreed that there wouldn't be a problem.....I had already thought about doing what you said and pulling wires through but it actually worked out better in the end as I can watch 2 different games at the same time now, one on each TV......Thx for the input.......DD

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

if the HDMI output supports HDCP, then it wont be allowed to output to both outputs, its a part of the HDMI spec,  its the same way on Bell, Telus, even Shaw receiver boxes.    best way is to switch to a component output if you want multiple display monitors for the same content.