Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

Which PVR do you have? Do you know how to bring up the diagnostics pages?  I can help with the 8300, but not the Nextbox. That will tell you what your signal strength is.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Sorry - but the problem as described is NOT because of a weak signal.  If you have a problem, you should call Rogers.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @Ashrajendra,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Are you still experiencing issues with your PVR? Have you tried exchanging it or spoken to anyone on the phone regarding the issue previously? Please let us know, we can help here. 

Thanks everyone for chiming in Smiley Happy

RogersHassam 

I've Been Around

This is a daily occurance. We ALWAYS have to reboot the pvr box in order to be able to watch a recorded show. And quite often it takes more than 1 reboot. Each reboot takes 7 minutes. 

You can easily tell if it will work or not as all you have to do is try and pause a show that's running (not a recorded show). If it pauses, you will be able to watch one of your recorded shows. If not, you see the pause symbol (II) but it does not pause. 

We have had so many troubles with Rogers that I'm at the point of resignation. But if anyone asks, I tell to run, RUN from rogers TV. 

And we've replaced the PVR multiple times (last one actually would not stop recording. If you program a show, it would keep recording until the hard drive was full). 

I'm a performance engineer in a telephoney company, software division, and I'd lose my job if the problems that are seen on this board escaped our company. And I realize there's no such thing as bug free software but this NextBox 3.0 seems to be really exceptionally bad!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @johnnyrt1958  As someone else pointed out in this thread, or on another website, it's suspected that the problem begins (each day) when the box tries to compress recordings (when you are not watching a recording, or the box is not recording another show.)   (although the INITIAL cause of this problem is probably a corrupted recording - that can't be deleted)

So you MAY be able to reduce the likelihood that this will happen by starting to play a show IMMEDIATELY after the box reboots. 

I had the same problem you had FOR THREE MONTHS.  I finally replaced my box.

I have been EXTREMELY unhappy with the so-called compensation Rogers offered me.

I called Rogers this morning and told them I would be dropping two of my three services with them this month.

The guy in the 'loyalty dept' was as helpful as a rock in making me happy. 

I'm a Senior Contributor

@johnnyrt1958  When you cannot watch a recording, are you getting the message that the recording is either deleted or there are insufficient resources?  If so, you may want to look at this post.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I Plan to Stick Around

My Netbox 3 setbox crashes all the time and takes many reboots before it resets itself. This is really frustrating. And it looks like other customers have the same problem with no real solution other than to reboot the box over and over again. Not good!

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dannowrote:

My Netbox 3 setbox crashes all the time and takes many reboots before it resets itself. This is really frustrating. And it looks like other customers have the same problem with no real solution other than to reboot the box over and over again. Not good!

A scenario like this is usually a signal issue.  Make sure all cable connections are tight and secure.

If you can, try the box at another cable outlet to see if its a problem with that particular outlet.

If it isnt, then call Rogers and get a tech out to test your signal at your residence.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Danno, as mentioned by @Lurker, this is usually a signal issue in your home or neighbourhood.  Rogers can usually check the signal remotely if you call and you can even check the basics yourself. See the following link:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks very much for this 57. I tried it and you're right. There's a ton of information hidden in there, but I'm at a loss to understand it. Where do I look for the signal strength (which  should be between -10 and +10, with zero being about optimum) and the S/N ratio (good if it’s at about 35 dB or higher) or any other info that might explain what's going on?