Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

Neil:  I recall you mentioning that you use an external drive attached to one of your PVRs.  (the 8642?)  I used to use one when I had the NB2 - but I had such terrible reliability with that box (the PVR itself) - that when I got my NB3 - I put the external hard drive away because I wanted to reduce the possiblity of anything adding to problems inherent in the PVR.

I've found when watching VOD shows, hitting the 10 second back button (sometimes accidentally) more than once in too short a time causes the show to jump back to the beginning.  (but I don't have whole home - so I haven't had your problems)

But ANOTHER bug I've frequently experienced - that I don't recall anybody else saying they have - is sometimes, after I hit 10 seconds back - when playback begins - there is NO SOUND.  Not just no sound for a few seconds - but no sound at all.  Hitting 10 seconds back again will solve this.  But it wastes my time.

And speaking of wasting time - does anybody recall using the SA 8300 box - and the 10 second back button was actually 5 or 6 seconds back - and that was BETTER - in my opinion.  10 seconds is too far back.  But I've always got my remote right at my fingertips.  I guess Rogers wrote the RTN software for fatsos that have to spend 5 seconds just looking under their folds to find the remote.

Which makes me suggest to Rogers - are you guys LISTENING - there should be an option in the PVR menu to select between Normal user - and Advanced.  The Advanced setting would be for those of us who want MORE control over our PVR.  We could adjust the way the box works to our preferences.  The sort of thing the average couch potato would not want to be bothered with in the menus.  (But I approach TV watching a little differently than most people.  I used to have 14 VCR's hooked up - before cable went digital.  And I had a wall of 10 TV's - and I would have one VCR that would record sports, and another that recorded Leno, and 6 for prime time programs between 8pm and 11.  And when some Breaking News event happened in the world - I could have 10 news channels showing at once - and pick the most interesting one to switch my main TV to and listen to that.  I kinda miss those days.  (Now I spend 98% of my TV watching time ALSO surfing the web - at the same time.)

I don't know if this site will allow outside links - but I'll try to link to a photo of how my entertainment system used to be set up:   http://www.pbase.com/billmcintyre/image/28115635  (and that TV in the middle was about the very FIRST TV that you could hook your computer up to.  (Now I have my computer hooked up to a 72 inch TV that is right above my 70 inch TV watchin' screen).)

New info:  I spoke to ANOTHER tech guy at Rogers yesterday about the can't watch recorded programs problem (it's been 3 months with this problem for me now) - and despite one person here in this forum who said they fixed the issue with a complete 'Restore Factory Settings' - I was told that my box WOULD LIKELY do this again.

Apparently, boxes released since April of this year have fixed this issue, but there is a HARDWARE issue with SOME boxes released before April that causes this problem - this corruption (to once recorded program).

So I was told to take the box in to be replaced after I'd watched all the programs I wanted to see.

And interestingly - although I don't know if I 100% believe the OTHER tech person I just spoke to after starting to write this post - that person said that Navigatr SHOULD fix this playback of recordings problem.

So now that I have finally watched all the programs I valued on my PVR, I did a complete Factory Reset yesterday - so I think I'll take my box in tomorrow and get a 'new' one - but I say 'new' - because I'm told it will be a refubished box.  Apparently - rentals that you receive at the Rogers stores are ALL refurbished boxes.  I hope I'm not getting someone elses 'problems.'

Yep - that doesn't sound plausible as all the boxes in the stores are old refurbised units.

That said, whenever I go in to replace a box I ask them nicely if they can look through the stock and pick the one with the highest (newest) serial #.

Aaacckkkkk. I wish I'd read your post before I went in to replace my box. I just got back from getting a new box. I should have asked them (nicely) for a box that was newer than April.

I seriously doubt you'll find one in a Rogers store manufactured after April.

Still, before building up a library of recordings you may want to see if the store has newer ones than what you picked up.

I Plan to Stick Around

So it has gotten worse... rebooting stopped working as a way to reset and watch a recording.  Then trying to delete a recording leads to a reboot.  So I give up my recordings and do a factory reset.  Record a program, start to replay and half way through the PVR reboots.

Off to Rogers...

Doug

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hi @DougOB,

Sorry to hear about your PVR issue. At this point since you've already tried a factory reset and the problem has gotten worse, my suggestion is that you try to exchange the box provided that it's still under warranty. Are you renting the PVR or is it purchased? How long have you had it for? If you'd like, I can send you a PM via @CommunityHelps to access your account and have a look. Please let me know. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersHassam

It is rented, about a year and a half now, problems since January.  I will just drop by the local Rogers store to exchange.  I had been holding out hoping there was a firmware fix that would preserve my recordings.

Is there any way to insist on a newly manufactured box and not a refurbished one?

Doug

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hi @DougOB,

The only way to get a brand new box is to purchase one outright but then again, they only come with limited warranty which through my experience with any technology I've used so far, ends before you start to experience problems. The rental boxes have unlimited warranty until you are renting, and are manufacture refurbished. They are sent back to us by Cisco so they are tested to be fully functional. Hopefully after you exchange the box, you should be okay Smiley Happy

Thanks,

RogersHassam 

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue. I am sure it's a weak signal. I wish someone at rogers would help me.