Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

So am I hearing that the fact that my 9865HD will not let me view recordings without multiple reboots is normal and that I should accept it?  I am paying for this (lack of) service!  

Other have reported the same problem.  Others have reported exchanging boxes and the problem persists.  I had no problem for 10 months and then it started, around the same time it started for others.

My trouble ticket with Rogers is 2 months old with no response, except the occasional reminder that they have yet to respond.

Doug

I'm a Senior Advisor

No, the Nextbox 3.0 has apparently had various problems since its introduction. Cisco and Rogers seem to be adding new features faster than they're fixing the existing problems. Nobody in authority seems to be coming out with a good explanation. We don't even know what percentage of customers have problems because those who are happy wouldn't be here ranting about it. I just hope that by the time my SA8300's die or are rendered inoperable by new technology, the NB3 will be as bulletproof and the old PVRs.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats the ticket.

While there are quite a number of people reporting it... what % of people is that actually?  How many DO NOT have the problem?
I know of 6 NB3 owners including myself who dont have the issue..

So its not global (say like the old DD issue, etc)..

That the box was SWAPPED and the problem still persists...
Either  it was a fluke of another bad box..
Or there is some other factor thats effecting/causing it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Exactly! If the ratio of complaints to kudos about the NB3 were indicative of what was actually the case across all Rogers subscribers, they would need a huge fleet of techs and more replacement boxes than Cisco could keep up with. I see that now there's a shortage of digital adapters and customers are panicking as the total switch to digital approaches, but nobody has said Rogers didn't have replacement NB3's in stock.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

That's because they just scrape the crud off the ones that have been returned, shrink wrap them, and send them back out to the stores as "refurbished".

I'm an Advisor

Wow, I can feel the frustration and anger (rightfully) coming from the screen as I read this thread and am concerned that a Rogers representative has not chimed in yet.

My story: When Nextbox 2 was introduced, I was among the first to "upgrade" to the new Nextbox Diamond package. For the next eight months, I had to call Rogers repeatedly for problems with their PVR and their inability to deliver the free PVR extender and tablet (as promised and advertised with their new package).

My advice:
(1) Document EVERYTHING - every tech visit, phone call and glitch.
(2) Keep calling and logging new tickets - get an interaction number for every call.
(3) When a week goes by with no response, follow up and ask Rogers to escalate your ticket. Do this for every ticket that you open.
(4) DEMAND partial credits for service issues and interruptions. The only thing big companies understand is a hit to their pocketbooks.

Using the documentation and evidence collected: I was given tons of credits and had offers applied to my account (as compensation for my issues).

Please let us know how things pan out (if they pan out)...good luck!

I'm Here A Lot

For the last few weeks I have nothing but trouble with my ANNOYING pvr. Some days I need to reboot the device multi times.

HELP HELP.

I'm a Senior Advisor

There are multiple threads with suggestions on dealing with rebooting PVRs.  Please use the board's search function.

I Plan to Stick Around

Do any have a solution?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have the nb3 and did have this issue. After searching the forum for help and finding no solution. I did some investigating and evaluated the problem was with the hard drive. As I own my unit there was no problem with me removing the drive and testing it with the manufacturer diagnostics. Luckily the drive had no issue. However, I did have a listed recording which I had previously deleted which was still visible on screen and could not dispose it. This led me to conclude the file structure on the drive had been corrupted. I had concerns as I knew nothing about how the drive was used by the unit for the software. But decided to set the drive to factory default with the manufacturer diagnostic software, if a problem resulted, I resolved to live with it. I reinstalled the drive and fired up the Nextbox, all was good. This all occured over a year ago, and since then, I have only needed to reboot the unit once due to a clitch with scrolling recorded programs.

I suggest anyone having this problem take your box into Rogers and ask a technician to do the same for your hard drive. With luck, it will also work for you.

There is one caveat. All recorded programs will be lost and it is unlikely Rogers will take the extra step to save and repopulate the drive. So, you could do as I did and watch all before resetting the hard drive.