Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

Same problem here for the last couple of days. Recordings are listed but the "sorry" message appears when trying to play them. Pvr is at 54%. A reboot temporarily resolved the problem.
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya, my PVR is at around 30%.  For me it is all or nothing in terms of replay, not random according to recordings.  My only success has been hard resets, i.e., unplug, wait, and replug to force a hard reboot.  But still not 100% and even if, it retrogrades to the error message after a period of time.

Doug

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Top Gear on my BASEMENT 8642 today shows it recorded 5:56-6:00p. It actually recorded 5:00-5:04p but whenever the 8642 ends a recording early it changes the start/end times to the last x minutes of the scheduled recording instead of the first x minutes that it actually recorded.

Also, according to my LIVING ROOM 9865 at 6:25p the BASEMENT 8642 is also STILL recording a Top Gear episode that started at 3:00a. Playing back the program it stops at the 45 minute mark. I went downstairs to check at the BASEMENT 8642 and it is NOT recording (no red light) but DID reboot at 4:46a. Although the BASEMENT 8642 had no red record light on, the list of recorded programs DID still show that episode of Top Gear as RECording. I STILL had to go through the routine of Stop Recording to stop it showing REC. I did that at 6:31p, so then it changed the program record time from 3:00-4:00a to 5:46-6:31p (it recorded 45 minutes before the box rebooted, and it rebooted WHILE recording still, and then it changes the time of the recorded program to show an end time when I did the Stop Recording, and a start time 45 minutes before that.

First off, it is simply UNACCEPTABLE that these boxes reboot while in the middle of a scheduled recording, instead of waiting until the recording is finished AND there is no program scheduled to record for the next 30 minutes. 

And, if they DO happen to reboot while in the middle of a recording the reboot process should at least check and NOT leave a program showing that it is still recording from BEFORE the time of the reboot. 

And finally, if you DO have to manually stop one of these "phantom" recordings, the PVR shouldn't then change the start/end times to show the program ended at the time you forced it to stop the "not still recording" recording, and alter the start time to the time you forced the "stop" minus the length of the recordingfrom start to the time the box rebooted.

This is, plain and simply, lousy sloppy amateurish programming, and after 3 years of this it is simply inexcusable that Rogers/CIsco can't fix the many issues with the RTN programming code, AND do that without fixing something and breaking something else with EVERY new update they put out.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Do you have a question that someone here can help you with?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

There's still no fix in sight. Rogers has not updated me as to the tickets on this issue and as usual, I have had to reboot my netbox 3 in order to watch one of my recordings. It's just dragging on and on. What makes it even worse is when I reboot this netbox, it interupts any recordings that are taking place at that time so I end up with 6-7 minute "holes" in my recordings.

Their software updates are causing me a lot of frustration as they interupt the recording I am watching and then afterwards, it does not take me back to the point it interuped the show. It's happened 2 nights in a row. Last night while I was watching the recording I did of SNL 40th Special, which is 3hrs 30 mins, I had to forwind it to the 3hr point to pick it up where I was interupted. The older PVR's would allow you to "go to end" of recordings. This new netbox 3 does not....so there I am forwinding the recording for 5 mins.

It's bad enough that it interupts a show but to throw you out of a recorded show and not bring you back to the point at which it interupted you is just poor coding. How hard could it be to bring the user back to the point where the update took place? These stupid updates have happened 2 nights in a row....even Windows 98 didn't need to update night after night.

Get it together Rogers. Fix these netbox 3 PVRs so we can actually watch what we have recorded without rebooting multiple times and if you're going to do updates, do them when the user is NOT watching TV. It's not rocket science to cue an update until the box is inactive.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Message #31 is about three different problems when the PVR automatically reboots (triggered by an update from Rogers) while recording a scheduled program:

- #1 it should not reboot while recording in the first place

- #2 when it DOES reboot in middle of a recording then after reboot it STILL shows that program as RECording

- #3 when you have to manually "Stop recording" for the progam that isn't really still recording, it changes the start/end times

I've Been Around

im having the same issue for last 3-4 days. " Not enough resources" . Tech Support said it was software error, needed box swap. Then he said its a signal issue and wants a tech out here. Never had a signal issue or service interruption.

Im considering canceling technician and swapping boxes.
I Plan to Stick Around

Swapping boxes won't do any good. I have friends who have already done that and they had techs over to check the signal strength. Rogers knows darn well that it has nothing to do with those things. It's a software issue between Rogers and the people who make the Netbox 3. I know Rogers techs who are having this same problem "out of resources" message.

I have been having this issue of over a month and Rogers continues to promise a fix but so far......nothing. I am going to demand a months credit for this because it's a major pain in the butt to have to keep rebooting this stupid box. Rogers is still selling and renting them even though they know they are faulty. There's countless customers dealing with this crap. Rogers doesn't seem to care and are doing nothing to fix it.

If I took over a month to solve a software issue, I'd lose my job. Apparently Rogers doesn't mind having us crawl under the TV stand and unplugging their Netbox 3 over and over again, day after day. I think they should be stopped from selling these netbox unitl until the issue is solved. It's FRAUD IMO. 

Every time I have to reboot this stupid thing, it wrecks any recordings that are taking place and leaves a nice big 6-7 minute hole in them. LOVELY.

ROGERS OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS.  I've about had it.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for letting me know that swappping boxes won't help as I have been thinking about doing just that. Guess I won't be doing that and basically accepting this crap that has gone on for at least a month and some days I can't even get into it at all after trying nonstop reboots thruout the day .

I was going to try to get at least to have shows that are on channel 100 so can watch them that way when I traded in the box but now won't. I have talked to at least 5 so called techs and each time they seem clueless to what the problem is as if its a problem no one has had before .

Everyone should be rebated for putting up with this garbage with no fix in sight

I Plan to Stick Around

I had the same problem several months ago. It's a known firmware issue with some cable boxes. Rogers is working on a fix but apparently it's not a priority for them since not that many people are affected. My repair ticket is still open and it's been over 6 months.... If your PVR is a rental, take it back and exchange it---hopefully the new one won't have this bug.  I bought my PVR so exchange wasn't an option for me.

I initially got that error message on only one particular recording, and the box seized up, the screen greyed out and it automatically rebooted although the problem remained. Within a day, all my recordings showed that error message. Scheduled programs kept recording but I couldn't play any of them back. What worked for me in the interim was rebooting about 15-20 times in a row, one right after another. It ate up a lot of time but (knock on wood) I've been trouble-free ever since.