Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

For the last number of days I have been getting an error message when I go to watch a recording off my new Rogers 3.0 PVR. It states that the show is either deleted, which it is not, or that there are no reasorces. The only fix is having to endure a 10 minute reboot of the PVR and that doesn't always work. I am also wondering why this new PVR need 3 or more :"software updates" per week. I'll be in the middle of watching a movie I've recorded and the set will go black, then a message comes up to tell me it's updating software......AGAIN.

This is not what I expected when I "upgraded" my old PVR, which worked perfectly, to this new 3.0 piece of junk. What's going on Rogers? I called tech support and they tell me it's happening to a lot of other users. I guess this new box was not ready to release and sell to your customers was it? 

Come on.....10 mins or more to reboot a cable box?????  ARGH!!!!!

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Getting tired of rebooting my PVR just so I can watch my recordings

It shouldnt take 10 min.. 5 maybe (thats about all mine takes)

Most of the updates per week, are usually the GUIDE info.

That should only really happen OVERNIGHT.. in the 1-2 am range.

IF its happening durring a different time.. its something else. (perhaps a failed update, which is re-trying?)

Hello @buzzhaze,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused due to your PVR. We can definitely try finding a solution for you.

If I correctly understood the issue, we are having similar discussion in the following thread: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/3/...

You may want to try the fixes suggested in the above post.

I would appreciate if @, @OLDYELLR and other members in the community can provide more suggestions.

@buzzhaze, thank you very much for your patience and understanding.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

I am not losing the recordings. I can see them all listed. The problem is when i go to play them. It comes up with an error message saying :

"Sorry, (name of show) om "PVR D*$" connot be viewed

right now. The program may have been deleted. or there

may not be enough resources available.

I reboot the PVR and sometimes they will play and other times, I have to reboot multiple times, 3 or 4 in order to get them to play.

As for the software updates, yes, they do take place at 2am or something but it's very annoying. If I am watching a movie I've recorded, it goes to black screen and indicated it's updating the software, then after a few minutes, it dumps me back to my starting channel and does not save my place in the recorded movie. I end up having to go back to my recorded list, call up the movie and forwind it to the spot I was interupted by the upgrade installation. It's a major pain in the butt.

and yes, I timed the PVR reboots. Just under 10 mins each time. Sometimes I have to reboot 3 times in order to watch one of my recorded shows. That is crazy. It shouldn't take that long. I hate having to get on my hands and knees to unplug the stupid PVR. I have tried using the "reboot set-top box" command in troubleshooting but it just freezes and does not do anything.

I'm getting sick of this and I'm going to be asking for a credit towards my cable bill. This is not what I pay for. I already have a tech ticket out on this issue but nothing is being done. It's doing the same thing as I type this. I now have to get down on my hand and knees AGAIN to reboot this thing and HOPE that it works. This is pure crap. I would have never upgraded to this PVR if I knew how much trouble it was going to be.

Thanks a bunch Rogers

Buzz Haze

Highlighted

Hi @buzzhaze 

Just to clarify, your PVR reboots itself while watching a recording during the 2am reboot period? Or does it do it at random times while you're watching recordings?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@buzzhaze wrote:

"Sorry, (name of show) om "PVR D*$" connot be viewed

right now. The program may have been deleted. or there

may not be enough resources available.

do you have whole home PVR, and another PVR in the house?

Thats usually a message when you are having issues connecting to another box.

I completely understand your frustration. I've got the same thing with my box at home occasionally, and I would also like a fix ASAP. Unfortunately there's been no timeline as of yet.

There's a bit of a temporary fix that may allow you to watch recordings that give you that error, however it's not 100%.

If you'd like to give it a shot, please do and keep us posted.

Go to settings

In Appearance Menu

Change TV type to 1080i, 720p, 4:3 or 4:3 wide screen, whatever your TV supports. Just don't use the 1080p option.

In Audio Menu

Change Audio Output to Other

Change Audio Range to Narrow

Change Volume Control to Variable

In Troubleshooting Menu

Reboot Set Top Box

Wait for loading circle to complete.  After loading wait for 30 seconds, then attempt to playback recordings.

As I mentioned, this has worked for me personally to get some glitched recordings to work, but I can't promise it'll work for you 100% of the time.

What I can promise is that once we do have more information to provide on any updates, we'll share that info here with you guys.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only other thing... have you had a tech out to check the signal levels?

While they GENERALLY should efect the recordings..(unless a bad recording maybe corrupt?)... that you lost some specialty channels could be a signal issue)

I Plan to Stick Around

As I said, there are a number of users experiencing this same issue with recordings that cannot be viewed due to this "no resources" error. I have 2 friends who are going through this and are also considering cancelling Rogers service. I am not going to wait weeks and weeks for a fix. Rogers should NOT HAVE SOLD ME THIS NETBOX PVR if they cannot support it or get it to work correctly. There's no excuse for this. I have already done the fixes you suggested under "Apperance" and "Audio" etc.....nothing works. I still end up having to reboot this piece of junk over and over in order to watch my recordings. Even when it finally does work, it goes right back to the error message if I try and watch a 2nd recording. The signal strength to my box is fine. It has nothing to do with this.

Rogers has completely dropped the ball on this. They are aware of the issue yet do nothing to fix it. How many customers have to be effected before Rogers takes this seriously? It's been months for some users and still no fix in sight? Really? I intend to contact the CRTC and some other agencies to see if they can do anything becausae obviously Rogers does not seem to consider it a priority and they are still selling this box to unsuspecting customers. I also intend to contact a tech writer for the Ottawsa Citizen and see if they would consider writing an article about this before anymore people get dupped into buying or renting this netbox PVR.

What really bothers me is I had called Rogers to cancel my service 3 months ago and they convinced me to stay and sold me this netbox PVR. I was ready to move to another provider....I wish I had because now I am paying top dollar for a very poor service which is more trouble than it's worth. Shame on Rogers. I'm not going to stand idle and be taken advantage of.

Buzz Haze

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think the problem is.. they need to FIND OUT what is CAUSING the issue.

Because its not GLOBAL.

I know 6+ people with the NB3, myself included, which DONT have the problem.. so what is causing is to happen to SOME and not the others?

Randomly change/fix something on it for one,, could break everyone elses then.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats