Getting a Digital Adapter

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Getting a Digital Adapter

How do I get a digital adapter for my TV? The inquiries page says I can go to http://www.rogers.com/tvadapter to order one but this just goes to the rogers home page.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Re: Getting a Digital Adapter

Hi @rmoroz129,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

We can assist with ordering a digital adapter for you.

Send us a private message next time you’re  online to get that ordered.

Cheers,

RogersCilio

I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a cost for this? If so what is it? I can't seem to find this information anywhere on the website.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Rogers Maude wrote this 3 weeks go on another thread.

" Hey Community,

We want to take the time to notify you that this thread contains some information that is now outdated.

Prior to the17th of May 2016, the Digital Adapter was offeredn at no monthly cost, as long as you returned the equipment to Rogers, in the instance where you terminated your service with us.
We wish to inform you that it is no longer the case.

The rental fee, it is now billed at $3.99/month, per adapter.

Existing customers who are currently paying $0 for the rental of the digital adapter will not be affected.
If you move or if you need to swap your existing digital adapter at $0 rental, there is no charge.

It is only in the case where you would like to activate a new service with a digital adapter or if you add another one to your account, that the cost of the new adapter will be $3.99/month. Existing adapter(s) are not be impacted.

RogersMaude"

Heres the link:
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I'm a Senior Contributor

Why? Customers had no choice in switching from analogue to digital. I think the intent was that they should never have to pay extra with this conversion, so the move to charge for digital adapters sounds like another excuse to nickel and dime us to death. Somehow, I just knew that Rogers would eventually charge for these.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct, customers had no noice in the changing over.

People have had I would say, close now to two years, of being able to get the digital adapter for free?  There has been ample time for many to get them.
(yes, this does not help say someone who just say bought their first place, never had the account, etc before now, etc).

But all in all.. I think it would be a 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another scenario.
IF people had wanted to have analog kept that badly... there would likely be an overall service increase anyways.
As all transmisions converted to Digital.. to provide analog was actually much extra work, requiring equipment to downscale the signal back to analog, and then the continued upkeep cost on the (likely aging) analog hardware.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Say what you want, but there never should have been a charge. At the very least, perhaps a $2.00 charge at most should be sufficient. It is just a another example of rogers nickel and diming people to death.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dugi wrote:

Why? Customers had no choice in switching from analogue to digital. I think the intent was that they should never have to pay extra with this conversion, so the move to charge for digital adapters sounds like another excuse to nickel and dime us to death. Somehow, I just knew that Rogers would eventually charge for these.

All existing customers were able to get DTA50s for free when the analogue to digital transition took place. They were given every opportunity to get DTA50s for free, during the years that the transition took.  These (existing) DTAs are still free and even replacements are free. The "new" pricing only affects new customers or people who now want an additional adapter, which I believe is perfectly fair.

In addition, you are able to negotiate pricing with Rogers for the entire suite of services you obtain from them, so you need to look at the overall price of this package and not a single item.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And why should they NOT charge for them?

Its not like its just an arbitrary charge.. for something physical that we can not see, etc.

Its a physical piece of hardware.  There is a COST behind it.
Perhaps in the long run, no not as much as the monthly times X many months.
But they should then just put out a flat 'buyout' fee to get one.  Something akin to the $40+ that you need to pay if you dont return one if you close your account.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dugi wrote:

The digital adapters were provided free when the transition to digital was taking place so that customers without STBs would not lose all their TV. That was a long time ago now and how to get the adapters was noted on Rogers cable bills. That's when I got mine.

There have been a lot of changes in the meantime, including CRTC mandating the "skinny basic" for "under $25". Since this would affect Rogers bottom line, the free stuff went away. Of course there is tax added, but you have to rent or buy a box or digital adapter to get any TV, which is how Rogers makes up for the shortfall in revenue.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario