Frame Skip on certain shows and commercials on new TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Frame Skip on certain shows and commercials on new TV

Hello,

I am having a problem. Recently, we had to buy a new tv since our 11 year old tv died. We bought an LG 2019 tv, 4k UHD. We got a new super speedy HDMI cable.

We have the Nextbox 3.0 PVR.  

The picture is great on 97% of shows/commericals/channels. Then I started noticing on certain shows that the frame would skip when the person on the show moved quickly or did a quick action with their body.

It is very distracting and takes away from the enjoyment of the certain programs/commercials this happens to.

For example, Last Man Standing which airs on FOX the frame constantly stutters but when the commercials come on it's fine. Then when Seinfeld comes up next it's fine. It's certain shows/commercials.

I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of. I've tinkered with the settings on the t.v. for weeks now, nothing helps. I set the tv to 1080i instead of 1080p and it does nothing.  I'm at a loss.

It's not my HDMI cable, its a new cable and the picture is great on 98% of tv programming. When we had our 11 year old tv it didnt do the frame skipping except the picture quality was much worse being an older tv.

My question is, should we upgrade and get the Nextbox 4K PVR? Would it help at all?  I don't bother to call into Rogers because I find the people here more knowledgeable.  I don't have 4K channels but maybe the box will be faster and the frame won't skip on these shows I'm complaining about.

I don't want to upgrade to Ignite TV and I don't want to reveal why but there is a legitimate reason.

Any help would be appreciated. 

*** Edited Labels ***

Highlighted

Re: Frame Skip on certain shows and commercials on new TV

Hello, @Sauga

We appreciate you posting your inquiry in the Community!

I can understand how these types of issues can make it difficult to enjoy your favourite shows. 😞 There are a few questions we'd like to ask to better understand the situation.

• Does this happen on shows on a specific channel or multiple channels?
  • Do you recall which shows seem to be affected? Please list as many as you can remember with the Date and Time that it was airing on TV.
  • Are you watching Live TV or recorded content when you are noticing this issue?
  • Have you attempted a reboot of the Nextbox 3.0 since noticing this issue?
  • Do you have more than 1 TV in the home? Do you notice the same issue on other TV's?

With regards to upgrading to the Nextbox 4K, are you currently renting your Nextbox 3.0 or do you own it? If you are renting, it makes sense to go with the Nextbox 4K instead as your TV is capable of that resolution. If you own your Nextbox 3.0 then you'd have to decide whether you are willing to rent another unit for an additional cost per month.

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am wondering if its more of the TV side?

Without the model, cant look it up.. but I am wondering if its more on the refresh rate?

I know a lot of TVs, unless you go to the really high end, are not a full 120 refresh rate.. and are often only 60, and do a psudo 120 refresh.

I have seen on some i think its this part which seems to over compensate and can cause that.

I wonder if thats something worth a try, turning that feature off.
See if it makes a difference.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As far as I've seen to date, LG 2019 tv's are the only tv's to fully support HDMI 2.1, which includes its increased bandwidth.  Given that HDMI 2.1 support, I wouldn't expect any issues, unless the source feed had problems on its own.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

1) It happens all the time on The Weather Network which I watch every day, it's very annoying and bothers my eyes.

2) Happens during Last Man Standing on FOX at Midnight

3) Happens on CBC on some shows but forgot the name.

I am watching live tv, not recorded.  Yes, I've attempted multiple reboots to no avail.  We only have 1 tv.

My tv is the LG UM6910PUA. It's might be something like the refresh rate like you said but I have exhausted myself going thoroughly through all the settings and cannot find anything related to refresh rate or lowering the UHD 4K tv to 1080i or 1080p output, it just doesn't have that option.

Maybe it is the source feed like you said from the channel/programming itself but it's hella annoying to watch. I mean it's not 1995 it's 2020 and I expect the picture to be clear.

My big question is whether renting the Nextbox 4K PVR would fix this issue?  Rogers Tony said it might help but does anyone else think it will. I currently rent my Nextbox 3.0 PVR for 18 a month and the Nextbox 4K PVR is 24.95 a month which is a big increase for me. I tried calling my local rogers store to know if they even have the 4K PVR to rent and as usual no one picks up.

I want to say a big thank you to all who have responded and I greately appreciate you all taking the time to respond!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sauga wrote:

I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of. I've tinkered with the settings on the t.v. for weeks now, nothing helps. I set the tv to 1080i instead of 1080p and it does nothing.  I'm at a loss.

I assume you meant you set the Rogers box output under "Settings - Appearance" to 1080i.  That should not make any significant difference compared to 1080p.  Give 720P a try just as an experiment?

There should be a setting in your TV to turn off/on "smoothing" or refresh rate to 240 instead of 120, or some other similar settings which might have an impact.  Find any other settings in that section and change them from "auto" to "off".

Try a different picture mode - most times something like "cinema, movie, custom user, expert, etc" is the best mode for the TV. Check out the following FAQ on proper settings for a TV.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76161-faq-what-you-need-do-your-new-hdtv.h...

Have you tried a different HDMI input port on the back of the TV.  Some ports are designed for specific types of input signals. 

Since you're watching HD channels and not 4K, the 4K box shouldn't provide a better experience for those channels.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This problem has been recent introduced by Rogers this week. I have a lg 77 oled and also have an ota antenna so I can see the signal comparison. The tv settings are identifcal on these inputs. Rogers is dropping frames on almost all channels except 4K stream
Highlighted

Hello @rnarine,

Welcome to the Community!

In order to best assist you we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Does this happen on shows on a specific channel or multiple channels?
  • Do you recall which shows seem to be affected? Please list as many as you can remember with the Date and Time that it was airing on TV.
  • Are you watching Live TV or recorded content when you are noticing this issue?
  • What box do you currently have?
  • Do you have more than 1 TV in the home? Do you notice the same issue on other TV's?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

RogersZia