Fox News HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Fox News HD

@trudoh wrote:
thanks for the prompt reply,

I wonder if I can see those numbers, but I also wonder how many people don't even realize they have the option of watching Fox news, it's not available on basic cable, when for some reason CNN is… Even CP24 is not available on basic cable! Weird

I think CNN was available on basic cable even before the CTV and CBC cable news channels existed. It's where we got our world and U.S. news. But today it's not your father's CNN, it's blatant left wing stuff. That's why Fox News is needed for balance.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just remember that we can see Fox News.  It's just not in HD.

If you're talking about wanting it to be on basic, that's the topic of a different thread and is decided by the CRTC, not Rogers.  This thread is about whether the currently available Fox News should be made available in HD.  The reasons it's not in HD have been made relatively clear.

I'm Here A Lot

Read about it here, guys: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/crtc/article23541572/

Rogers Picked CNN, not the CRTC. When I ordered skinny basic, I was told well, it doesn't have CP24! This is just silly, if you don't want to make it available to almost everyone at least make it available to the people who want to pay for it.

I see we're at an impasse :/

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

According to the Rogers website, CNN is not on Rogers' most basic package (Starter), as was claimed by others in this thread.  Neither is CTV News, or CBC News, or CP24.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/starter-package#/starter-channels?sort=number

I Plan to Stick Around

That's misleading, however.  It's stored as 480i on the DVD disk but the content doesn't need to be 480i and is rarely presented at that resolution since it's converted to 480p and often upscaled to 720p or even higher.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

According to the Rogers website, CNN is not on Rogers' most basic package (Starter), as was claimed by others in this thread.  Neither is CTV News, or CBC News, or CP24.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/starter-package#/starter-channels?sort=number

You're right, not on the new packages. I'm thinking back to the Classic Combo I had before digital.  With VIP I have CNN, CTV News and CBC News even with the DTA, but CP24 (192) is only available with a STB.

I'm Here A Lot

I have that skinny basic program, for me it's on channel 33.

Maybe you can send our feedback to your programming department? Maybe there is a need for a US news package with HD, I know I've said enough, I hope you send our feedback along! Bon Weekend!

I'm a Senior Advisor

I think @57 's point here though, is that currently today, if you don't have one of the older packages, and definitely, if you want to make any changes to your channel mix, you won't be on it anymore - I have been off mine for over a year now.

The basic level does not include any cable news networks from anywhere, and the Popular also has a limited set, with CNN available as a bonus only.

Yes, on the old VIP and pre new packages, I had every news network in my mix, including BBC which I loved - more neutral, not leaning in any direction, just plain good journalism, report the facts, not the opinions and analysis and guesses which all news is guilty of now.

But on the new packages, if you want a broad range of news choices, you will have to purchase the Canadian News package, and the International package which includes BBC, Fox and CNN, CNBC, etc.

Thanks for clarifying @57 the reality for anyone not on old packages.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

I did my research and found this out - you will see I posted it a while back that the CRTC does not currently define what news networks can be on cable choices.

That is the decision soley of the carriage holders and the purchasing company - Rogers has not provided it in over 13 years in HD, so they don't seem to have any desire to do so, but neither do any of the other major competition either.

Same for CNBC and MSNBC

And the debate will die off and then come back again as it has for 13 years now. I don't know their rationalle for the decision, but I have to think that market demand plays into their decisions. 

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

Yes, on the old VIP and pre new packages, I had every news network in my mix, including BBC which I loved - more neutral, not leaning in any direction, just plain good journalism, report the facts, not the opinions and analysis and guesses which all news is guilty of now.

But on the new packages, if you want a broad range of news choices, you will have to purchase the Canadian News package, and the International package which includes BBC, Fox and CNN, CNBC, etc.

I remember it well and was really disappointed when it was removed as part of channel "realignment". I should have seen the writing on the wall.