Fox News HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Fox News HD

I guess it's personal taste whether you prefer watching SD letterboxed or zoomed to fill the screen. I sit about 12 feet from my 55" 4K TV when the ideal viewing distance should be about half that and just a couple of feet to see the ultimate resolution at 4K. So I like to view SD full screen.  But if you're close enough, then filling the screen with a fuzzy SD picture would certainly be objectionable.  My personal preference would be to leave SD letterboxed and I'll zoom it if I want to. SD channels are only a small percentage of what I watch, but I certainly would watch Fox News if it was included in my package.

All that be that as it may, Rogers doesn't provide many channels in HD just to save money and help their bottom line.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

You know what their bottom line is?

Google it, I got in trouble a while back for posting the numbers they make. They are always trying to screw the people that make that bottom line.

I wish some big US company came up here to cut that bottom line in half. then we would see our problems addressed.

Anyways the CRS tier 2 said i would get a call from the presidents office to resolve my issue, no call today though,  guess they are too busy counting money Cat Sad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have been reading this post and yes there are some valid points, but at the end of the day its up to Rogers Cablesystems to determine if its feasible to add Fox News HD to their cable lineup, no matter how much public outcry or demand there is for it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Someone said a comment about how they want SD channels to be letterbox,  but did you know Widescreen SD is also very popular, maybe not popular in north america but in other parts of the world like europe its common for widescreen sd to fill your screen just like hd, but lower quality which makes sense cus its not hd.

I'm guessing not many people on here are italian but incase you guys are not aware, Rai Italia has been in widescreen SD for a LONG TIME now on Rogers Cablesystems.  At fist it was horizontally squeezed into a 4x3 frame but they must have turned on the AFD descriptor in the signal but only HD boxes can intercept this and stretch to fill it, but this only works on Rogers Cablesystems with an HD box, Rogers SD boxes and other providers like Bell TV boxes do not recognize this as a 16x9 signal and must manually be stretched via the box or tv.

I Plan to Stick Around

Not really comparable, since SD in Europe is higher resolution  than SD in Canada (571 vs 480).   European SD is closer to DVD quality than it is the Canadian SD.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@343sj : You do realize that Region 1 DVDs are 480i?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code#PAL/SECAM_vs._NTSC

I'm Here A Lot

while you all fight over regions and resolution, please remember we are asking Rogers to do what Telus does for our west coast canucks...Provide popular channels in HD, including FOXNews,and BBC world news! 1080 is what people want and it's what you should provide...why not?
We still haven't heard a good reason!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Several "good" reasons are outlined in the following post.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Lounge/Fox-News-why-not-full-HD/m-p/415826#M1143

- Very few viewers (in Canada)

- Additional cost to the provider not worth it for very few viewers.

See also:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Lounge/Fox-News-why-not-full-HD/m-p/415844#M1149

I'm Here A Lot

thanks for the prompt reply,

I wonder if I can see those numbers, but I also wonder how many people don't even realize they have the option of watching Fox news, it's not available on basic cable, when for some reason CNN is… Even CP24 is not available on basic cable! Weird
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

See also:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Lounge/Fox-News-why-not-full-HD/m-p/415844#M1149

"So, what you're saying here is that access and quality (HD vs SD) for tv viewers in Canada should be determined solely by American numbers, and determined and controlled by corperations in the U.S. "

For the last year so much Canadian MSM news has been devoted to Donald Trump that maybe it's time we also saw the U.S. perspective.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario