Fox News HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Fox News HD

I was initially fooled too! But it sure looks better this way! In another thread I posted I thought that the channel was in HD, but when Rogers run their own commercials in letterbox format it is obvious that the channel is still in SD.  I can live with this and focus on other far right tangents that occupy my head space.

I Plan to Stick Around

In the last few days, the standard definition Fox News Channel (#181 in Toronto) has been zoomed artificially, filling the screen but making it blurry and almost impossible to watch. EITHER deliver the 480i SD in its originating 4:3 letterboxed size, OR upgrade the channel to Fox's 720p HD standard. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@TinyTim wrote:

In the last few days, the standard definition Fox News Channel (#181 in Toronto) has been zoomed artificially, filling the screen but making it blurry and almost impossible to watch. EITHER deliver the 480i SD in its originating 4:3 letterboxed size, OR upgrade the channel to Fox's 720p HD standard. 

I'm not subscribed to Ch 181 Fox News, but Ch 183 (CNN SD) and Ch 186 (BNN) are letter boxed SD for me, but currently Ch 184 (CNBC SD) is showing compressed horizontally to 4:3 full screen, which I haven't seen before and can't correct with the # button, only the TV picture settings.  I've been seeing such anomalies from time to time, which later get fixed.

As for zooming letterboxed SD to fill the screen, I do it all the time because I don't as close to my TV to see the pixels (I'm about 12 feet from my 55" UHD TV). But I can see where a zoomed SD picture would be annoyingly fuzzy if you're closer.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TinyTim : Check out posts 59, 60 of this thread on the previous page. It seems you just can't please everyone.  Smiley Wink

I Plan to Stick Around

I stand by my request...HELLO?! is anyone at Rogers listening? EITHER deliver the signal in its 480i originating format in 4:3 letterbox, OR give us the Fox News Channel HD standard 720p in full screen. It's idiotic to blow up the SD image (only 360 lines of horizontal resolution) and make it all blurry, but in the first instance above, anyone can blow it up (or "zoom" it) themselves if they want to fill their screen with a blurry, fuzzy image. I know the Fox News Channel is available in HD because I have seen it numerous times while travelling in the U.S. It is disgusting that we subscribers pay a huge premium for HD service while over 50 channels are still only delivered in SD.

I Plan to Stick Around

It is disappointing that Rogers still doesn't have Fox News in HD, but I much prefer the recent change, which makes the SD feed look far better than just "zooming" did, so I disagree with TinyTim, as do others as indicated above.  This is not a sufficient change, but it's an improvement.

I'm Here A Lot

So get this, Rogers made a change to one channel in their line up, 181

This channel was letter box just like cnn cnbc and msnbc, 183,184,185

Now it's full screen and looks awful in on a HD box but if you had a couple old SD 940's you'll miss about 1/4 of the picture.

The you can call CSR and find out they will do nothing for your problem. it worked a week a go now it dosen't. Go spend some money and upgrade your hardware.

I pay extra for this specific channel and really this channel alone. now they make a change to this specific channel and they want more money so i can watch like i did a week ago.

Can someone say extortion ? 

it's one thing if they removed the 480i source and put HD in it's place but this is not that.

I asked why they didn't do this with CNN or CBC

Because the outcry from people with SD boxes would be a mess. so lets just ignore the people that watch FNC.

20180322_091021s.jpg20180322_091028s.jpg

Nice to watch JD cut in half.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jreeeiu: Fox News is not in HD, as discussed in my recent posts in this thread. It's 480 x 720 with AFD to fill the screen on HD boxes. The 940 should react properly and not utilize AFD.  Perhaps you have one of the stretch modes enabled on the TV itself?  Cycle the TV through the various aspect modes.

If you can confirm that the TV is not stretching the image, then you should contact Rogers and have them rectify the situation, perhaps by supplying you with an HD box (for free)?  How does it look on other channels that utilize AFD like 707, 705, 703, that I mentioned previously?

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree that the "zoomed" image for Fox News Channel (#181 in Toronto) may be fractionally better than if I zoomed it myself, but the difference is minimal and the zoomed image (640x480 letterbox SD zoomed to fill the 16x9 screen) still looks blurry and gives me a headache.

If anybody from Rogers is out there, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us the 720p HD feed for Fox News Channel (and 1080i for CNBC and MSNBC). We don't need HD garbage channels in Toronto like fireplace channel, barker channel or French channels. And while your at it, give us the HD feed for all the Canadian time-shift networks, which are all broadcast free-to-air in their home markets anyway.

I'm Here A Lot

don't get 707, 705, 703
this is not a tv issue, it has been confirmed by rogers that the 940 will not adjust to the new format, like i said let them try it with CNN or CBC and see what happens.