Flickering on TV signal

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Flickering on TV signal

I started to get flickering and pixelation from my cable box and it's kind of annoying.

Here's what I have tried:

• I've tuned off/unplug the cable box several times
  • I've changed the cable box like 5 times (the one that we used in the first place was used for more than a year for us at least)
  • I've used it on on a different TV and it works fine
  • Changed where the cable 
  • Ditched the cable box and used plugged the cable directly onto the TV, there is grainy-ness which is I guess normal?

After all of that, there is still pixelation and On Demand does not work Smiley Sad

There are no spliters and I've tried using a Video-Audio cable instead of the Coaxial Cable.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Flickering on TV signal

When you tried on a different TV were you still using the same cable connection from rogers to the box?

It sounds like you have a signal issue on that connection. You might need a booster installed or the cable replaced..
I've Been Around

I am having a similar issue. I have had a 8300 PVR box for over a year now with no issues until recently. I went out and purchased a HD TV excited to be able to enjoy the HD programming. Now all of a sudden, the signal I get from the box stutters every couple seconds making it impossible and annoying to try and watch ANYTHING! I swapped the box with the standard box i had in th bedroom and that is working fine but it looks terrible! The HD box does the same thing now in the bedroom. I went to Rogers today and got a replacement hoping it would fix the problem but no luck....

Any advice on how to go about fixing this? I called Customer Service and got the explanation that 'sometimes the broadcast just does that'... very weak!! If this is the case, I dont think I should be paying the monthly bill I do for such poor service.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

does the flickering happen when changing from SD to HD channels and vice a versa?

if so try changing the display mode to FIXED in the settings menu.

when i had mine on auto HDMI it would flicker when changing from SD to HD,  but my tv could not handle the resolution changes or it didnt like it, so i now leave it fixed, in 1080i mode

I'm a Reliable Contributor

We are suffering from picture issues (which sounds what you are getting - a combination of pixelation, stuttering and freezing) on HD channels only. We have an 8300 HD PVR as well as a 1TB eHDD. Three techs have been to our house. There are no signal issues. The cables check out fine. The first tech ran a new cable from outside into the house. They reconfigured our splitters. The problem persists. Some days the signal will be fine and on others it is so bad that we will switch to the SD station to avoid the show being ruined for us. The issue appears on both recorded shows and on live TV. It has been going on for the past few months, even before the firmware update and the switch to AutoHD. I have also noticed the picture issues are at their worst when two HD signals are coming in at once - recording one HD show while watching another HD show. The display mode is set to FIXED. I do not feel we are getting from Rogers what we are paying for!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

For Some Time:

I am presently using a brand new  LCD TV  --> Samsung  LN32C540
I am also using a brand new Rogers cable box --> Explorer 4642HD

For several weeks, everything was working, perfectly.
- No pixels
- No errors
- No flashes

=====================================================

Now:
I am also receiving  "FLASHES".

Conclusion:
This is "not" your home system. !

Rogers Cable System, is now supplying the consumer, with an old depleted system.
Many regular TV stations from the U.S. are now , High  Definition.

This is only a Rogers Communication - Problem !

I've Been Around

I have been putting up with flickering and sound breakup for a month or two now in the hope that it would go away -- but it hasn't.

This started on one HD channel - CTV HD and now is happening on CBC HD plus a couple of others.  I have a 3250 box (purchased) which has been working fine for 3 yrs now with my Sony TV. I haven't contatcted Rogers yet as I'm sure they will say it is the STB or TV or something other then their signal.

Does anyone have any suggestions/input? I am considering changing to Bell or just Over The Air.

Thanks for any feedback.

I'm a Senior Advisor

This happened to me and when they sent a cable guy to check it out it was a signal issue. Turned out to be something down the street. Once it was fixed both my digital boxes worked again without the flashing and audio problems.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

a lot of people mistakenly discribe flickering when they mean pixelation. but yeah pixelation is linked to signal problems which you can check yourself in the diagnostics menu. if its low id call a cable guy to come out and fix it, not jim carrey though

I've Been Here Awhile

I am also getting pixelation a lot. Called Rogers several times and will send cable guys. Our signal is good and they tell me it's the box down the street. It it continuously have the same issue and it is so annoying. We are paying so much on my cable and specialty channels and getting substandard service. It comes and go. Sending a cable guy does not help and I kept telling them this. I guess the best way is change the service provider?