Extreemly slow response on DCX3400-M

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Re: Extreemly slow response on DCX3400-M

ShakTib:

Any computers that I've ever seen have large memory chips. They snap into slots on the mother board and are a few inches wide. Laptops are a bit different and have much smaller memory chips that usually snap into a covered slot underneath.

The SA8300HD PVR does have the square type chips you mentioned.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

OLDYELLR:

That's very interesting. My 8300 changes channels in about a second and alway has. The only time it's a bit slower is if the resolution changes, say from 1080i to 720p.

Perhaps mine does not get along well with my Samsung Smart TV. Since I seldom watch live TV on it, it doesn't really bother me.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
BFlow
I Plan to Stick Around

@ShakTib wrote:

your box has its "RAM" dying out,... it's a memory lag and a very common issue with any boxes,... usually happens if the box is getting old, since all technology are not made 100% metal anymore, and mostly plastic peices surround metal chipsets, corrosion and degredation occurs...

You are talking nonsense.  Digital media devices do not fail in this fashion...at all.

Moreover we checked our HD box (much newer than the PVR) and it is exhibiting the same delayed response to remote commands which points to the issue being a systemic one, probably from a recent box update pushed out from Rogers' end.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

I never watch live TV either and also have a Samsung Smart TV. What are your video output settings?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Picture Format is Auto DVI/HDMI.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

My setting is the same. I find it very strange that it takes your box 7 seconds to switch channels.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I had just tried it, using the Last button, when I posted. I just tried it now and it takes about 2 seconds using the Channel Up/Down button, 4 seconds when punching in a channel number or using the Last button. Seems to take longer when switching formats, maybe 5 seconds.

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I am thinking how to actually... explain this...
Media devices and any technology are computers programmed for certain functions... how would this be nonesne? 😄

To better explain, anyone ever used the Windows Media Center with TV Tuner built into them? Ever took out the TV tunner from the PC desktop? or ever installed one? that PCI-e Chipset is practically the same thing Digital Boxes are. Except of few changes. Only reason latency comes into effect is because of digital conversion.

-__- I really am bad at explaining this... ever feel that you can't explain something that you know to others? yeah, Im stuck at that point...

I sound loopy don't i?

@jimboden I was referring to the computer memory to provide a relation of what kind of memory i was talking about (not that it actually looks like it)... but you're right, those are the memory i am referring to, if it was a computer/laptop. DDRMs.
BFlow
I Plan to Stick Around

By way of a follow up, hald way through the evening yesterday it, litterally, sudenly started responding normally. Still ok this evening...however there is no longer the "jump back" we are used to when resuming play from fast forward.

At this point I can only conclude that Rogers is mucking arround with software updates on me....

chucky1
I've Been Here Awhile

Bbeen having this issue since switching to rogers in February, keep telling me there is an update in the works, gave me a ccredit at one time. I am back to regular pricing, but issue still not resoved. I have had enough, Bell may be more money but there system works, I am going to switch back at the end of this bill.