Extreemly slow response on DCX3400-M

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Extreemly slow response on DCX3400-M

Within the past week or so our DCX3400-M sudenly became extreemly slow to respond to the remote, as in several seconds pass before a button press is acted on.  Press fast-forward...and several seconds later it starts to fast-forward.  Press play...and several seconds pass before it stop fast-forwarding and goes back to play (at which point you've missed several minutes of the show and have to go back....but end up going to far back because of delayed response...and so on).

Incredibly frustrating when trying to watch recorded show.   Even menu up/down/left/right and even channel selection are met with the same delay.

Tried using second remote control, no change.  Reset/cycled power on the box which seemed to correct it....for a day but it goes right back to the anomalous behavior.

Edit - typo

Is anyone else in Atlantic Canada having a similar experience?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Extreemly slow response on DCX3400-M

Not in atlantic.. so cant comment on the box.

Did anything else change? Change of TV, etc?

And is this any time of day, or just specific... and is the TV in a very dark room?

I Plan to Stick Around

No changes in equipment or environment.  Time of day does not manifest any change.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I presume you tried a re-boot.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Per my OP, "Reset/cycled power on the box..."

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

The answer is actually very simple.
Though it is mainly due to technical reason...

when you said "... Reset/cycled power on the box which seemed to correct it....for a day..." it was the clue to the mystery...

your box has its "RAM" dying out,... it's a memory lag and a very common issue with any boxes,... usually happens if the box is getting old, since all technology are not made 100% metal anymore, and mostly plastic peices surround metal chipsets, corrosion and degredation occurs...

How old is your box @BFlow ?
Changing the box should help (but this is just based on what you have advised thus far) - if its a purchased box, and still underwarranty, you should be able to swap it under warranty.

Keep in mind, your recordings are not transferrable to another box. (unless you are techy and savy with this, you could run a VCR loop - yes I said "VCR" old trick but works...)

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm in Ontario, where Rogers uses Cisco boxes, so can't really help. My guess would be that Rogers has sent out a firmware update to cause this, or the box is going bad. I suggest you contact Rogers to get it checked out.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:

your box has its "RAM" dying out,... it's a memory lag and a very common issue with any boxes,... usually happens if the box is getting old, since all technology are not made 100% metal anymore, and mostly plastic peices surround metal chipsets, corrosion and degredation occurs...

@ShakTiburon, I have an SA8300HD and it takes about 7 seconds to change channels, whereas my DTA50 changes channels in under a second. Is this to be expected? Can RAM in these boxes be replaced if it goes bad like in a computer?

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

God no. That's why i quoted the word RAM as "RAM" ... because its not the actual word i was looking to use... (oops) I was talking about what is built in to the board memory.
oh, on second thought - It actually essentially IS on board memory... I just didn't know what to call it (I kind of think and type at the same time)...

The RAM i am talking about is on board chip attached to the main board.

In terms of computers its essentially one of those black square chips that sit on mother board. That's all the on-board memory it gets.. usually pretty small... very small.

I WISH we can swap them line PC. I would love my NextBox to have 16GB of memory.

I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

That's very interesting. My 8300 changes channels in about a second and alway has. The only time it's a bit slower is if the resolution changes, say from 1080i to 720p.