Extra Outlet Fee for extra Digital Adaptors is a ripoff!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Extra Outlet Fee for extra Digital Adaptors is a ripoff!!

This additional outlet stuff is a way to get Roger consumers to pay more $$$. I have rogers cable with 3 authorized connection (1 in basement, 1 in family room and 1 in master bedroom) for 21 years in my  house and I have initially the cable basic plus plan but then change it to basic more than 15 years ago.

On April 28th I went to Rogers store and they told me that I do not have any outlet (Yes in their record they show I have basic plan and 0 outlet!!!) and being on Basic Plan I will only get one outlet hence one digital box and have to pay $6.99/month for it .

Phone call to Roger support say that I am entitled to 1 outlet and 1 digital box for free because I have only the basic plan. On question of the abovementioned fact that all along I have 3 Roger supplied outlet and have basic plan on all the 3 locations for the past 21 years, they say basic plan entitled to only 1 outlet and hence 1 digital box. (Only VIP package provide 4 outlets .... and cost almost 2x the basic plan!!!!) Obviously the rule has changed along the way and I am now requested to pay $$$$ more to have what I have for the past 21 years on the excuse of this analog to digital conversion. I am already paying $130/month to rogers for cable and internet and they want me to pay $$$$ more. Alternatively they can repackage for me with 2 additional outlets but they want me to be on the hook for a 2 year term. So is this not a money grabbing opportunity by Rogers on this analog to digital.

Somewhere in tha past the Government has been woo over by these folks to turn off free TV OTA signals and also get everyone on analog to turn digital on the perception that digital is better and that they can reclaim the air bandwidth (to resell for more $$$) and be now totally at the mercy for TV needs with these digital supplier ... including being extracted for more $$$ with these monopoly. I have voted for this Government and now have great regrets voting for them again. The current force analog to digital issue affect millions and cause folks to pay $$$ millions more per month just to retain their same TV service.

I Plan to Stick Around

The government has nothing to do with Rogers switching to analog, and as for the outlets if you pay the 6.99 you can get digital adaptors for the extra outlets...that should not be doubling the package price.    

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

exactly.  i noticed too a lot of people pleading ignorance to try to blame rogers for something they do not understand.

what the builder did and what you are authorized on your rogers bill MAY NOT EQUAL THE SAME, I don't see posters blaming the builder for hooking up the outlets illegally, when infact maybe they should blame the builder

you were paying cable for 21 years and just found out now you have 0 outlets on your bill? wow if it was me paying the bill, i would  not let 21 years pass buy without asking that cruitial info, i would ask every question possible to rogers, such as how many outlets, etc, AND GUESS WHEN I WOULD AKS THEM? YUP I WOULD ASK THEM ON DAY 1 OF WHEN I SIGN UP,   waiting 21 years to ask how many outlets you have just kinda shows you you dont check your bills and dont really know what your paying for.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And even if rogers DID attach the other outlets in the past.. they are what i would call 'analog' outlets... physical outlets.

Other than signal strength, etc.. there really is no limitation on how many outlet you PHYSCIALY can put in.. which was fine for analog.

But for the digital.. they need 'digital' outlets assigned, so they can register either a digital box or the DTA to it.

Basic cable.. only had the one included 'digital' outlet...if you had tried to get another digital box even with basic cable, they would have charged for the extra outlet then.

(on an interesting note.. as i went to find the following information, the BASIC cable is no longer listed as a package.. lowest listed now is digital basic).

If you want more than the one TV.. you will have to pay the digital outlet fee.  At the cost point of having 3+ TVs with basic.. cost wise you are about the same as the PLUS, which allows 3 TVs and gives you more channels.

I can understand people not wanting to pay more money.. times are tough.. no one likes paying more.  I understand that.

BUT.. if it comes down, that someone can not afford another $7-$14 a month, that it is that much of a financial burden... it is time to re-assess things.   IS TV really necessary? Can i live with it on just one TV, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.

why on gods earth are you connecting 8 tv's when you are on basic cable? do u really need 8 tvs? l tv should suffice

I've Been Here Awhile

The question will be . Why we dont pay for every computer with internet in our house and why we dont pay for every phone extension in our house. It will make a different to Rogers one o two tv sets . Well thanks Rogers
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually it does, as phones, pcs, etc don't need to be authorized. Digital boxes do. That is the only reason it's needed, the boxes need to be authorized to decode the digital signals.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Gdkitty. Thanks for your coment but as every body knows that modems have to be authorizes and as well as the phone lines . But did you pais extra for every computer and extension in your house? I dont said dont pay but why we have to paid extra for every tv conecte in your house . Thanks
I've Been Around

Being charged an extra outlet fee is ridiculous in my opinion. You should be able to have as many TV's in your house as you want - you're paying a price for the channels that you have, not the room in which you watch them in!

I was told that because I have basic cable, I need to upgrade to the VIP package so I can get extra outlets for free.  But I don't NEED the VIP package, we don't watch that much TV!  So we are being penalized for having basic cable. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wont argue that there shouldnt be aditional fees for aditional outlets.

But there is a little more involved in the setup for with digital boxes.. as each needs to be registered to be able to decode things correctly, etc.. as well as signal does make a BIGGER difference in digital.. dont want people just splitting it willie nillie 10x like on analog sometimes.

All packages should have 3-4 min IMHO.