Extra Outlet Fee for extra Digital Adaptors is a ripoff!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Extra Outlet Fee for extra Digital Adaptors is a ripoff!!

I got a letter from Rogers dated April 9, 2012 with the heading "YOUR ROGERS TV SERVICE IS CHANGING TO DIGITAL. PLEASE ORDER A FREE DIGITAL ADAPTOR FOR YOUR TV TODAY!"

The letter indicates you can get a FREE digital adaptor for each TV, the adaptor is free, and there will be no change to my cable TV services or fees.

On April 18th I dropped in to a Rogers centre and picked up 2 digital adaptors.  Yesterday I got my Rogers bill, and was charged an "Extra Outlet Fee" pro-rated for the period April 18-April 25, but the full monthly fee is $6.99 plus taxes.

The letter from Rogers I got on April 9th does not mention anywhere, not even in the fine print, that there would be an additional fee if you use more than 1 digital adaptor.  The sales rep. at the store where I went April 18th didn't mention this fee either.

This is a very sneaky and unethical practice.  I have complained to Rogers that I expect the extra outlet fee to be refunded to me, as I was not made aware of this fee prior to getting the adaptors, and their letter clearly states that there would be no extra fees for having more than 1 adaptor.

I will keep you posted when I hear back.

***Edited labels***

I'm an Enthusiast

Re: Extra Outlet Fee for extra Digital Adaptors is a ripoff!!

Good luck with that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello 422, So you were connecting your TV unauthorized to rogers all this time, and NOT paying the extra outlet fee, now you went and got the FREE DTA from them, told them you have 2 TV sets, and are pissed at THEM?

I think your comment is very inappropriate. Rogers does not have to notify you in the DTA letter of the extra outlet charges, as the extra outlet has nothing to do with the DTA, its the outlet you were using all along, you just "confirmed" to them you have a TV hooked up to that outlet, you knew you were not paying for it, you should know your own bill and what package you subscribed to, no need to plead ignorance. if they take off the extra outlet, kiss the free cable outlet you been getting for years goodbye, you should have been paying for this for all those years but you were not, you were clearly stealing cable. so your aguement is a mute point, you loose. you should only get upset at yourself

I've Been Here Awhile

Take a gander at this, which I copied-and-pasted from the Rogers website:

I pay for cable, but have spliced the signal so other TVs in the house can access channels too. Will I receive free adapters for those TVs as well?

Customers are allowed to splice cable wiring within their home at their own discretion but Rogers does not support any of those outlets.

In order to be eligible for more than one Digital Adapter on additional outlets, analog and digital customers can sign up for extra outlets for $6.99 per month. Spliced outlets will no longer receive the impacted channels once the transition is complete, so customers wishing to continue to receive all of their current channels on these outlets should sign up for extra outlets and ask to be provided with a Digital Adapter. The extra outlets fee provides you with a signal for up to four TVs in your house. If you have more than four TVs, there may be additional fees necessary in order to ensure the cable signals are optimal.

Take note of the second paragraph.  I AM allowed to splice the cable in my own home for additional sets.  I DO pay for my cable.  I have a TV in the living room and one in the bedroom.  It says above I can splice the signal, so that doesn't justify the extra outlet fee.  Rogers is also contradicting themselves, since it says above that you need to pay $6.99 for extra outlets, but their letter of April 9th says you can get a free adaptor for EACH TV.

If they want to charge an extra outlet fee, fine -- but at least do me the courtesy of telling me prior to imposing such a fee.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you want to connect 2 tv's to your rogers cable, and only subscribe to a package that includes one outlet, simply PAY THE 6.99 FOR THE SECOND OUTLET, ITS SUCH A SIMPLE THING TO UNDERSTAND. IF Not, you will have one outlet of service which is exactly what you are paying for. you cant complain about getting something if your not paying for it. thats absurd

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct.. it does say you can splice it yourself.  And still receive the analog signal on the other outlet.

That is, until the analog goes bye bye.

Then, it will be digital encyrpted only.. which at min, you will need the DTA for.

They are giving these DTA's for FREE, but for them to work and be able to be registered, etc.. your account has to be set up for 'multiple' digital connections.. which the extra outlet fee is for.

Really.. its 6.99 a month to allow you to have up to 2 more TVs as well connected (with 2 more FREE DTA adapters).

Or you could go and buy the DTA adapters... which probably cost $100+ a pop per adapter.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Or you could go and buy the DTA adapters... which probably cost $100+ a pop per adapter.

I don't know that they're sold to the public new, and if you got one on eBay or Kijiji, I don't know if Rogers would authorize it .

That being said ,Rogers will charge you $40 for a DTA not returned to them, so I'd guess the retail price is way less than $100.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

depends if kajiji sells Rogers DTA or comcast DTA. obviously i would not buy a comcast DTA-50 from kaggigi but i would look for a rogers dta-50. but why would i buy it anyways its free?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Pauly wrote:
but why would i buy it anyways its free?

Someone faced with having to pay another $6.99 a month to make an outlet "official" and get the free Rogers DTA might contemplate buying their own DTA instead. (And is there not also a one-time $75 "installation" fee?)

BUT I don't think doing this would work, because this is the kind of circumstance where I believe Rogers would refuse to authorize the purchased DTA.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

what does buying a dta have to do with an outlet fee? your getting everyone confused. secondly, i would never buy a DTA, i can buy a used STB for like $20 bucks off kajyjy instead , but i still need to pay for an outlet to connect it to

if ur so affraid of payin for outlet, why not upgrade ur cable tv package to one that includes multiple outlets? not hard to understand