Extra Outlet Fee for extra Digital Adaptors is a ripoff!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Extra Outlet Fee for extra Digital Adaptors is a ripoff!!

Most of us switched to cable because our antennas didn't give us good enough pictures or enough channels. The antenna was free, but cable cost. I actually rented a tower and switched to cable when it came to my subdivision because it was about the same price. In that time the price of my cable has increased about 10- fold, while inflation has only doubled. (Basic cable has only quadrupled, but that's still double the inflation rate.) So, yes, I can see why you think you're getting ripped off, but it was your choice to drink the coolaid and you can always leave and go back to OTA if you can get more than 3 channels in your area.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

I don't think I'm getting ripped off, I know I'm getting ripped off. Going to OTA is not the issue. The real solution is internet based so that there's true competition. Having said that, you're right. Rogers has every right to steal my money with every excuse immaginable. If I don't like it, I can always do OTA or Bell or some other provider. That's how capitalism works.

One more thing. When I bought my first PVR from Rogers, they started charging me a "Digital Services" fee of $3 a month. Now that everything has gone digital, do you suppose that fee will go away? In other words, if I have no digital boxes and I order the "free" Rogers digital adapters, do I then have to pay the digital services fee?

I think I know the answer.

All is just for now
Highlighted

Good evening @LenarcicCarl ,

To clarify, a Digital Dervice Fee is only charged when you have a Digital Terminal on your account, such as a Standard Definition Box, High Definition box or High Definition Personal Video Recorder (HDPVR). 

If you only have a Digital Adapter, there will be no Digital Service Fee billed to your account. However, you can have one digital box and an adapter and you will be paying for it. This fee is applicable to the first digital terminal on an account, not to each individual terminal.

If you currently have a PVR on your first outlet and wish to obtain a digital adapter for your second outlet, you will not be charged an additional DSF since it already applies.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I'm a Senior Advisor

@LenarcicCarl wrote:

One more thing. When I bought my first PVR from Rogers, they started charging me a "Digital Services" fee of $3 a month. Now that everything has gone digital, do you suppose that fee will go away? In other words, if I have no digital boxes and I order the "free" Rogers digital adapters, do I then have to pay the digital services fee?

I think I know the answer.

Actually, the fee has gone away, or rather, it has been hidden in the price of the plans. Mine still has it because it had it from the beginning when I got my PVR.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Hello @OLDYELLR 

You are correct, Starting October 9, 2013, the Digital Services Fee (DSF) was eliminated as a separate line item on our customers bill. It's now included in the price of most of the TV packages. In our efforts to simplify your bill, we merged the DSF into the total amount you pay for your digital TV services.

Some conditions apply, therefore if you have a grandfathered Cable package, for example, you would still see the $2.99 DSF.

RogersMaude

I'm a Trusted Contributor

It all depends on your plan. I have 5 outlets on mine and was only using 2 so no extra charge.

BTW I hate this new layout, very difficult to see where the cursor is and not easy to navigate.

Peter
Toronto
I've Been Here Awhile

I check my bills regularly with a fine tooth comb. Maybe Rogers should make them simpler and actually email remind me when they are available. Rep told me they can no longer guarantee an email notice even though I have tried setting it up more than 5x. Always got an email notice when I started with Rogers 10+ years ago, now no more, but I know some of my friends do.

And 6.99/month, more than $84 a year forever and ever, from how many customers, for basic cable which is not that great...is completely ridiculous to me.

I also think Rogers is sneaky, "free digital adapter", yet when they hand one over they don't tell you about any extra charges, you need to tell people when you are planning to charge them, or it should be free!
I've Been Here Awhile

So sorry I didn't read through the whole thread before I posted, similar thoughts, but all of you are way more knowledgeable than I. Thanks for the insights.

So I just ran into the same situation as the initial post and googled and got this thread. I have a nextBox downstairs and basic cable upstairs in the bedroom. I checked my account and it said 2 outlets.

Off to the Rogers store I go to pick up my free digital adapter (as I found myself losing channels and a friend said I could go get a free digital adapter). Easy peasy, go home and I notice an email from Rogers charging me an extra outlet fee???

Next day, I phone and question it and explain that I have 2 outlets so why am I being charged. No explanation so I said I don't want to pay extra (since I barely watch it but nice to have and my 2 year old misses SN in the morning!) so she said return the adapter then. So I agree and I receive an email saying an outlet has been removed.

I go on my account and it now says I have 3 outlets. And I am waiting for my next bill to see what they have actually done.

So am I entitled to a free adapter without paying? Can I still use the one they gave me?

Thanks for all the explanation and guidance in advance.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it says you have X many outlets.. you should generally be allowed.

BUT.. i think where it lists the outlets on the myrogers, isnt always accurate.. at least in some ways.

Whatever TV package you are subscribed to, this is what designates how many 'outlets' you have for TV.  This is what, if you have say 3 allowed... could get up to 3 free DTAs.

BUT at least from my experience.. the numbers on that page, can/are modified a bit.. as extras are added there for any other devices you might have.. like rogers internet, rogers home phone, etc.

So while it might list 2 outlets there.. and you only have one cable box... the other is taken up by an internet modem, etc.

Which exact TV package do you have?  This is what designates how many outlets are included.

(and often, sometimes, its CHEAPER to go UP a package, gain more channels, includes more outlets, for the same cost as adding an outlet :P)