Extra Outlet Fee for extra Digital Adaptors is a ripoff!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Extra Outlet Fee for extra Digital Adaptors is a ripoff!!

This is an old thread, almost 2 years old, that has been resurrected. Personally, I feel charging for extra outlets harks back to the 1960s phone company thinking. They abandonned that a long time ago. Like, does people watching more TVs in a house suck more signal, costing Rogers more money?

Back when I had some kind of old plan a bit higher than basic cable, I remember Rogers techs coming into the house and not batting an eye over my labyrinth of cables and splitters. They even replaced bad splitters and connections for free. I got VIP when I got my first PVR. When Rogers started supplying the DTAs, I ordered 4 of them  because that's how many more outlets I had. They're set up to provide only 3 DTAs, so the agent had to add an extra one. There was an added and subtracted charge of $50 on my bill and I saw my outlets go up to 5, but no extra charge for that. I recently added an 8300HD and now itshows 6 outlets, but no extra charge.

I guess the OP of this thread had basic cable. I still think he was getting ripped. After all, the more TVs being watched, the more subscribers are seeing commercials, and they should pay extra for that?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

Too funny about the phone company analogy. I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read this thread. My Rogers shows that I have 3 outlets, but they’re part of my package and there’s no extra charge. The dumb part is I only have one outlet, so maybe it’s normal for them to show 3 even though I don’t have them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Would show 3, since that is likely what your plan allows.. so are auto on there.. to easily add more boxes if need be, with less hastle of adding the outlets, etc.

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

Thanks for clarifying that. Suspicion confirmed!

I've Been Around

About 12 years ago we purchased the next level up from Basic so we have been getting a few extra channels.  We did that so my kids could get extra Cartoons when they were little and I could get the Golf channel.  Now my kids are older and my Golf channel was removed from the package quite some time ago and I was told I had to re-order it special and take a Canadian content channel as well to offset the American Golf channel at about $4 each (at the time).  So in effect, I would either have to upgrade my package to one that included the Golf channel or pay $8 per month to get it back.  They just took it off my package, unannounced and kept charging me the same.  That was a rip off!!! 

We have 3 tv's.  One in the living room, one in the kids' room and one in the master bedroom.  I went to get digital boxes for all 3 and they told me I had to pay $7 each per month for two of them because only one was free.  We settled on 2, one for the living room and one for the kids' room and remained on analogue in the master bedroom so we are paying $7 more per month.  I had a hard time stomaching a 25% increase in my monthly bill for the same service I was getting the day before.

Apparently the box has to be setup for decoding the signal and that justifies the extra fee.  My question is, do they have to set it up for decoding the signal every month FOREVER?  If they are justifying a fee for setting up the box to decode the signal, why don't the just charge a one time setup fee when the box is installed, say $20, since no human intervention is actually required?  Instead they charge $7 per month, ($84 a year) EVERY YEAR UNTIL YOU DIE, for each digital box that you have beyond the first "free" one.  ($168 per year if you have two extra tv's)  ... How much extra profit is that for Rogers if you add up what they are gouging every household for?

I just lost 3 more channels in the master bedroom this past week.  Today I am going to investigate one of those internet TV boxes.  I was offered one the other day for $150.

And, if you think the way Rogers is gouging us with these extra digital box fees, wait until they start charging us to watch all/any NHL games.  Not that I'm a Leaf fan by any means, but I like watching the visitors.  You won't even be able to watch the Leafs on a Saturday night without paying extra.  It's coming ... you wait and see. 

Sheff

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you read back though this thread, you'll find some info, but i will re-state it here again.

Most cable packages.. going back, at least 10+ years (when they first started alot of them,when VIP package, etc first came out, etc).... have ALWAYS had 'outlet' restrictions.

Alot of the packages, say had 1, 3, 6 outlets allowed on them.
With it on Analog... was there anything to really prevent someone from splitting it more and getting it on more TVs? No.
But that doesnt mean it was supported.

(they wouldnt guarantee it working on more than X many outlets).

Yes, the box needs to be set up to decode the signal.. but its not a one time thing.  The boxes are regularily rotating/updating the security keys, to keep them fresh.  (otherwise, too easy to say CLONE a key somehow, and then allow unlimited amount of boxes to potentially decode the signal, etc).

Really in the end, one package to the next, does it really cost MORE to add more outlets? No... but its a way to try and get you into higher tiers (marketing...)

That being said..

How much are you currently paying?
(if your on an older grandfathered plan, may not be exact to the current listed ones).

It may be possible, for close to the same amount as adding the extra outlet.. you go up one package level.. adding more channels... AND more outlets are included.

EG:  VIP included 6 outlets.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@sheffsss wrote:

About 12 years ago we purchased the next level up from Basic so we have been getting a few extra channels.  We did that so my kids could get extra Cartoons when they were little and I could get the Golf channel.  Now my kids are older and my Golf channel was removed from the package quite some time ago and I was told I had to re-order it special and take a Canadian content channel as well to offset the American Golf channel at about $4 each (at the time).  So in effect, I would either have to upgrade my package to one that included the Golf channel or pay $8 per month to get it back.  They just took it off my package, unannounced and kept charging me the same.  That was a rip off!!!

Welcome to the real world. That's how business works. Followers of motorsports saw the loss of Speed Channel with no equivalent replacement and no reduction in charge. We see it every day in all the products we buy.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

heres my take on the answer to sheffsss question.

I too was offered by roger to rent one or 2 of their boxes, yes the rental fee is continuous, however, I did some shopping around, found a good deal at Future Shop and The Source... By Circuit City, and bought 2 boxes, I paid $40 each, they were on sale, and I OWN them, I do not have to pay a monthly rental fee to rogers, and ive had them now for quite a few years. Yes its hard to swallow the extra costs, but in the long run ive saved without having to pay extra fees every month, and they work just as good as if they were new,

Highlighted
I've Been Around

OMG, listen to the people whining about this guy having an illegal splitter in his home!  In fairness, Rogers shouldn't be charging for the extra outlets since they charge enough for their cable services in the first place. Many cable providers allow extra outlets for free no charge, but not Rogers. It's just a money grab if you ask me!

I'm a Senior Advisor

The number of outlets you can have depends on your plan. Back in the days of analog only you could put in splitters that Rogers had no control over. With digital, each box or adapter has to be registered to work. You can request as many digital adapters as your plan allows.