Enhanced guide - is this a joke?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Enhanced guide - is this a joke?

I recently "upgraded" my pvr with the Enhanced Guide. Really Rogers? Is this what you call an "upgrade"?  There are so many things horribly wrong with it that i dont even know where to begin.

- no slow motion playback (are you kidding me??)

- extremely laggy response to remote inputs

- adjusting recording time takes an extra 3 steps now

- lost a number of recorded programs after upgrading

- fast forward/rewind is much slower now

- page up/down no longer skips ahead during playback 

- hitting the Live button while watching a program on delay switches to a different channel (brilliant)

- time of current playback is not shown while watching recorded programs (it just shows elapsed time)

- pvr crashes randomly (never happened before upgrade)

- layout of guide wastes too much space and the live tv window is far too small

These are all the problems i can list off the top of my head but there are many more.

i cant understand how poorly thought out this new guide is.  It's like they threw all the good stuff out from the previous version and had a group of monkeys design this one.  

Bring back the old guide Rogers!

***Edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Enhanced guide - is this a joke?

I fully agree with you. Also call in and have them update ur box with the old IPG. Many of us have been able too. Read threw the posts on here as well.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

My "upgrade" experiance was similar to yours. What bothered me the most was the rebooting after my 2 year old 160gb box received the new guide. That was fixed by Rogers with 2 new 500gb Nextboxes. They have not rebooted once since they were installed, other than the regular 2 am stuff.
I too miss some of the old features, but they will be added back shortly.
Having lived with the new guide next to the old one on my 8300 these last 7 weeks, I have to say I like them both the same. However, I know that the new IPG will only get better and the old will not. Plus I knew what I was getting into from the beginning so I did not mind being a guinea pig. I work in the electronics industry and all this stuff helps me do my job better.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mousetamer wrote:
My "upgrade" experiance was similar to yours. What bothered me the most was the rebooting after my 2 year old 160gb box received the new guide. That was fixed by Rogers with 2 new 500gb Nextboxes. They have not rebooted once since they were installed, other than the regular 2 am stuff.
I too miss some of the old features, but they will be added back shortly.
Having lived with the new guide next to the old one on my 8300 these last 7 weeks, I have to say I like them both the same. However, I know that the new IPG will only get better and the old will not. Plus I knew what I was getting into from the beginning so I did not mind being a guinea pig. I work in the electronics industry and all this stuff helps me do my job better.

I have to agree.. my job, i do a lot of 'beta' testing of new technology/software... often it may look great on the surface when someone trys to sell it to you.. but when you dig deep or actualy try to us it, it sometimes can be a different story.

Like you..i found positives and negatives.. on both the new and old IPG.  The few bugs with the new one, i can live with to gain a few of the enhancements.  While the new search, takes a bit to type something in (but heck, im used to it on the xbox :P), it does a great job at finding all the shows.. great when your trying to time shift record something, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Here's another one I cant stand:

- when recording two shows simultaneously and trying to change channels up pops this Tuning Conflict menu where the only option given is to cancel one of the recordings.  Why doesnt it give me the option to select a recording that i want to tune to like in the original guide??  

It looks like the people programming this thing have never actually used the original guide since BASIC features are now inexplicably excluded.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is a possibility.. the new guide, could be a completely different 'OS' so to speak.. different language built on, etc.. so a different group of people programming it..

Hopefuly something like that, should be an easy fix/change to the menu, at some point.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes I too find that the "guide" takes up too much of the screen.

It shows a lot shorter list for recorded shows.

I tried changing the output to 1080i from 720p after the "upgrade" & my TV goes blank every minute or so!

Had to change it back to 720p (my TV is 1080p), so another looooooonge reboot.

Another irritant is no song/artist info on Galaxy anymore!

1 + is the search feature.

Took them long enough! Cogeco had it years ago on their SA set-tops.

Al.

: > )

G2G!

I Plan to Stick Around

yup....i went back to the old guide because of most issues from the OP. Was told by the CSR that eventually i won't have a choice. No timeframe though. If I was stuck with the 'Enhanced' guide as it is I'd definately switch providers but I'm sure Rogers will work out the bugs before distributing to all

I've Been Here Awhile

Couldn't agree with you more. Not only did I lose a bunch of features, everything is slower. Generally the PVR is much slower to respond in the interactive menus to the point that I sit there and wait to a response. Changing channels is even noticeable slower. Also, lost (in addition to what you listed): - the ability to schedule a manual recording. - the sleep timer functionality is gone. Also noticed that "weather app" won't exit unless you hit the exit button. (On the screen it says to hit "D"). Quality stuff... The nicer fonts on the interactive programming guide just aren't worth it.
I've Been Around

Sadly I am not alone.  The only thing enhanced is futility and frustration.  ROGERS ... your programmers are morons!

SLOW?  That is being kind.  No slow motion, so many additional key strokes to do things now, no control of display scenery or colors.  My wife and kids have trouble making things out now .. and that's on a 42 inch set ... and on my 55 inch ... it's not much better.  They're asking for the old guide.  Is that possible?

ROGERS ... what were you thinking with this crap!!????   For a huge corporation your customer consideration is pathetic!

Can't you afford to hire intelligent tech people?  DO any of them actually understand simple logic?  Enhanced means easier and user friendly ... not more difficult, time consuming, frustrating and SLOW.

ROGERS ... considering how much you charge us ... the least you could is own the problem and make things right.

ROGERS ... you should be absolutely ashamed and embarassed having launched something that obviously failed testing.

Losing 7000 plus subscribers as someone pointed out per month may only be the beginning.   I have been a loyal customer

since signing with you guys with a mucho expensive cell phone and plan back in the 80's ... but now I'm beginning to think

it's time for myself, my family, my neighbors and my hundreds of employees to jump ship once and for all.