Do Rogers staff respond in this form? I would really like to know why Atlantic Canada is in the dark ages with its guide and PVR features. Rogers TV in Atlantic Canada is so far behind Bell Fibre it is very surprising and frustrating as I just switched 30 days ago. I'm ready to head back to over, price difference or not.
After a couple of weeks trying to decide on Bell Fibre or Rogers, I chose Rogers with the condition I get an updated PVR terminal, the Nextbox 2.0. After seeing the enhanced guide online, it was an experience I was looking forward to. Unfortunately, I find out after the fact, once the box is hooked up, that the EG is not available outside Ontario. If I'd known that, I would have just kept my old HD PVR I own. Or maybe even switched to Bell. Rogers tells me the EG should be available to Atlantic Canada by the end of the year. I won't hold my breath.
I just obtained the NextBox 2.0 here in St. John's. I was expecting the Enhanced Guide but I found out after it's not available outside of Ontario. This was the main reason why I got the NextBox.
The Nextbox replaces a DCT3416 that I own. What can the Nextbox do that the DCT3416 can not?
Between the nextbox 2 and the nextbox out there (the moterola).. not a HUGE amount.
A few tiny things.. shows 'recomended' shows after watching a recording (Big woopdee doo! its a waste of resources)
They JUST added a multiple select to delete multiple recordings like as we speak (not everyone has it yet).
Search... not sure if the moterolas support that.
So not a HUGE difference.
Really the only major things come with the nextbox 3. Up to 8 recordings a once.
Bigger stock hard drive in it, etc.
I know this post is from a few months ago but I found my way here and wanted to share in case anyone else finds themselves in this thread. If you are in an area that cannot get the "Enhanced Guide" count yourself lucky! I didn't have an option, I turned on the TV one day and there it was. At first it seemed like a huge improvement . . . yep it looks good, but functionally my wife and I HATE IT. It is horrible, it has actually taken away some functionality, and I would PAY to get my old guide back! Quick summary of what we have run in to - in the first month of use.
1) Scheduled recordings and Recordings are all in one big screen and lumped together. To get to your scheduled recordings you have to pick the show from the tiles on the main screen, then navigate UP out of the "recordings" list, arrow right to highlight "Scheduled", then arrow down to open the window. Not a huge pain, but clunky compared to the old method.
2) If you hit stop while watching a recording, or it comes to the end of the show, the guide jumps back to the screen with all the recordings listed. IF you have more than one episode in the list the guide will jump to the NEWEST recording - and not the one you were just watching. This can lead to accidentally deleting the wrong episode if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing.
3) There is NO instant record. Want to record the rest of a show you are watching? Hitting the record button does nothing. You have to hit enter, which brings up the mini guide at the bottom of the screen, then hit record while you have the show you are watching highlighted - but you aren't done. You have to use the menu on the right side of the screen to "save the recording" otherwise nothing will happen.
4) Navigating the guide itself - sometimes it works well, sometimes hitting an arrow once quickly will skip ahead 1 or even 2 full pages - maybe more.
So far we are very dissappointed with the "Enhanced Guide". Yes, everntually we will get used to it and yes, it does "look" better, but it has some definite function issues that Rogers needs to address - too bad I can't find anywhere on their website to provide feedback . . . And it's not just me that hates the new guide. I've talked to a number of friends and co-workers who are Rogers customers and they all hate it . . . a few have even left Rogers because the "Enhanced Guide" was the final straw in a long list of ongoing issues for them.
OK, I'm done, and I'm sorry that this wasn't all that "quick" of a summary!
The programmers need to fix these issues on the new TV guide:
1. Speed it up coz it's way too slow to navigate through.
2. Watch this channel should be first option.
3. Select Favourite and Hide channels need a select all option on every page.
4. Deleting recordings on PVR freezes up box and TV and I have to turn them both off and on to unfreeze. You need to fix this for it to be user friendly.
I hope Rogers reads these so they can fix problems with the new guide and us customers can have less problems using the new guide. I liked the old guide better no problems with it. My mom used to say if it ain't broke no need to fix it.
Just curious which box you have??
guessing its the 8642? #1 and 4 tend to happen much more often on that model.. the code is almost too much for the hardware to manage.
The newer NB3 (9865) tends to not have these issues.
I 100% agree on 2 though.. on a further ahead listing, the watch channel now should be first, then record, etc.
I often say at 4:25 go looking for whats on at 4:30.. so have that time selected.. and find thats the show i want to watch live next.. when i click on it.. i then have to go down like 4 things to get to the watch now.