Electricity Use Digital Box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Electricity Use Digital Box

So I have Basic Digital Service and with that a SA Explorer E940 I noticed a while back just how much heat this thing creates, so I plugged in a KillAWatt Meter to see just how much electricity this thing uses.

Even when not powered on, not driving a picyiure to a TV this thing uses a steady 12 Watts, thats every hour, every day for ever regardless of my Cable TV Use.....

Why doesn't it sleep?  Why when it's powered off does it use so much electricity...Best I can see it works out to $20 a yr simply being plugged in....

Add up the # of these across the country and it's a huge waste of $ and a contribution to greenhouse gases that is not at all needed........

*** Edited Labels ***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Electricity Use Digital Box

I know with the PVR units.. they cant power off, due to the nature of being able to have to record at any time.
(it just more disables the video output)

They couldnt loose power completely.. when the fully do (like when you unplug) it forces them to go and re-communicate with the back end for guide info, etc. 
I would have thought they would have had a more lower power mode though...

Its the nature of these sorts of devices Smiley Sad  I think almost everything has a 'low power standby' even on it now.. just to save up on LOADING time, etc..

I'm Here A Lot

It's not a PVR...a very bare unit (not even HD)...Using that much power when powered off, not in use is obscene 

I'm an Advisor

Hello @powersaver,

If you are worried about vampire power draw, you can definitely plug the device into a power bar then switch off the power bar after using your TV.

Be aware that this will impact your electronic program guide, since it is updated during the night (you will get "No Information" everywhere, and the guide will take time to populate after turning box on). 

I'm Here A Lot

It's unplugged....Vampire power like my TV, or Sony Receiver runs at most 2W....that's acceptable for instant on....12W that's just poorly designed..
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The E940 launched about 10 years ago. That means it was designed before 2006.  The unit needs to stay in standby to download the IPG so it's never truly "off". While it's true that a better design would have it "wake up" to download the IPG and to use perhaps 1-2 W in standby, that would require extra cost to construct and more elaborate firmware, which even to this day doesn't seem to work properly on some equipment.

In Europe power has been expensive longer, most people are "greener" and most governments mandated low power in standby, but in North America, we're quite a few years behind, unfortunately.  There have been many articles written on this topic of Vampire Power, or Parasitic Draws.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@powersaver wrote:

So I have Basic Digital Service and with that a SA Explorer E940 I noticed a while back just how much heat this thing creates, so I plugged in a KillAWatt Meter to see just how much electricity this thing uses.

Even when not powered on, not driving a picyiure to a TV this thing uses a steady 12 Watts, thats every hour, every day for ever regardless of my Cable TV Use.....

Why doesn't it sleep?  Why when it's powered off does it use so much electricity...Best I can see it works out to $20 a yr simply being plugged in....

Add up the # of these across the country and it's a huge waste of $ and a contribution to greenhouse gases that is not at all needed........

What was the power consumption when in use?

I'm Here A Lot

Efffectively the same ...went up by 0.5 to 1.0 watt....

I'm a Senior Advisor

@powersaver Honestly, a 12 Watt power draw is practically nothing in the grand scheme of things compared to all your other household electronics and appliances. What is your primary goal, saving electricity to save money, or being "green" at any expense? Mine is saving money. I have a $400 top loading washing machine instead of a trendy, energy efficient $2500 front loader, for example. Rogers actually went overboard being "green" with the Nextbox and Navigatr by shutting it down after 3-4 hours of inactivity, but it was poorly coded, prevented recording and required a reboot to restart it, causing a lot of customer outrage, so they listened and removed the "feature".

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@powersaver wrote:

Efffectively the same ...went up by 0.5 to 1.0 watt....

So they are not shutting off much.  Probably just the HDMI transmitter.