Duplicate recordings on SA8300HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Duplicate recordings on SA8300HD

I have NCIS seceduled to record on Global at 8:00 pm every Tuesday. Tonight I saw 2 copies being recorded. After watching and deleting one, the other one was still there and could be played, so I deleted it too. I had the same thing happen with The Good Wife about a month ago, on CBS. Has anybody seen this? What's happening?

***Edited labels***

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Duplicate recordings on 8300

I know NextBox 3.0 problems are the hot topic here, but maybe  someone can explain something weird I've seen on my 8300.

Last night I went to watch The Good Wife I was recording and saw there were 2 identical recordings in progress. These were exactly the same, same time, same channel. This is one of my regularly scheduled shows, but because CBS lets their afternoon sports coverage run long, the whole Sunday evening schedule often gets pushed back, so each Sunday I check and add extra recordings to make sure I get 60 Minutes, Good Wife and Mentalist when they get pushed back. This time nothing got pushed back, but maybe I set Good Wife to record because I saw it wasn't set in the Guide. That's something else, sometimes when I look at the guide I don't see a scheduled recording in red, but then scanning back and forth it pops up red. I also know that you can't deliberately schedule a duplicate recording on the same channel because it will ask you if you want to cancel the recording. I should note that I always set my recordings to "this channel, this day, this time slot" not "first run this channel" because I find the latter is not always reliable.

And another thing. This has been a long-standing problem, even with my older 8300SD. Sometime the PVR just forgets recordings I've scheduled and I can't even find them in the scheduled list.

Just thought I'd throw this out ther in case anyone else has experienced it and has an explanation.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Duplicate recordings on 8300

Yeah.. that does sound like an odd one.

On the NB2/NB3, the dual recording thing, normally shows up with one of the UPPER and one of the LOWER channels.. not both the same channel.

And normally, wouldnt it come up with a CONFLICT if you tried to do TWO on the same channel?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Duplicate recordings on 8300

I don't get a "conflict" message if I attempt to record something that's already scheduled on the same channel, same time, just the option to edit or cancel the recording. It almost seems like 8300 had "forgotten" it was scheduled, allowing a duplicate, then later "remembered" and did two. That's why I mentioned how it sometimes forgets scheduled recordings, especially after a programming disruption, like the recent winter olympics.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Duplicate recordings on SA8300HD

A bug?

I had that a few weeks ago on something, but on the NB3.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yeah, it's not a regular ocurrance. It doesn't really affect anything because I'm not a hoarder, so the hard drive is seldom more than half full. Also, if I was trying to set another recording in the same time slot as the 2 duplicates, I'd be warned right away and remove one of them,

I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

That is very strange. I've never seen that issue on my 8300HD PVR. The only time I had issues with recordings not working, etc. was before its hard drive eventually died, but a reboot always fixed if for a while. It was an inconsistent problem and probably lasted for a couple of months before the drive died. Since I replaced the hard drive, I haven't had a single issue with recordings.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Hindsight is 20/20, but next time I see the same show/channel being being recorded at the same time, I'll see if I can watch live TV on another channel. I wish I'd thought of that yesterday, but I seldom watch live TV.

I Plan to Stick Around

Another newbie question here from former Bell satellite user.
How do record a tv series not in it's first run without any duplicates? I can't do " New episodes only" because this won't record anything as the shows aren't "new" anymore.
For example, my wife wanted to start watching Fargo. But you can really only select "All Episodes" now that's it's been on for awhile, and we get 5 duplicates of the same episode because it ran several times that day. Is there a "don't record duplicate" feature like on my Bell and TIVO pvr's?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not that i know of 😞