Duplex wired as single house...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Duplex wired as single house...

I live in a duplex (that used to be a single house many many years ago). My new neighbour told me that when he had Rogers out to set up his cable, the tech told him that the entire house (both units) is wired as a single house. I plugged in my TV (I don't have a cable account myself) and it looks like a basic package (hard to tell, though because I have an old tube TV and most likely analog and only goes up to 150 channels). I can get about 33 stations, which is 33 more than I had before. Two questions:

1. Is it illegal for me to be watching his cable TV. He told me about it and told me to try it. Just wondering what Rogers would say about that (can they tell if I'm using it?).

2. Since my TV is ancient, should I try a digital box and see if I can get more channels?

Thanks for your help!

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Duplex wired as single house...

If its a house, with an APARTMENT in it.. its LEGALY one property, just with two units, etc... then no this is not technically Illegal.

But, if its LEGALY two units.. each bought/sold separately.. then YES, this is illegal.  Using it, technically is THEFT.(from roger, moreso than your neibour since they said to do it Smiley Tongue)
Can rogers tell? No not necessarily..  not directly from their end that they would directly do anything..

BUT if anything ever became an issue later.. even just signal issue, etc.. that if someone came out, could find it, etc.

A digital box WOULD give more channels.. BUT for it to work, need to be associated with an account, etc... which you dont have.

You are only getting 30 odd channels now.. as that is all that remains on analog TV now

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The whole house is owned by one person. I rent and so does my neighbour. I'm thinking it was probably wired before the house was split. Sorry, I meant a digital converter (like you would use if you were getting your channels the old fashioned way, from towers). You probably thought I meant something like one of Rogers digital boxes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, if it's that way, technically then no it is not illegal, as its one property, etc.
(Though even on one property you can have multiple feeds/accounts)

As for te adapter, no would make no difference.
All rogers digital signals are encrypted and require and authorized box to view.

So technically you could view as you are now, analog, until they are gone.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@findmydream wrote:

The whole house is owned by one person. I rent and so does my neighbour. I'm thinking it was probably wired before the house was split. Sorry, I meant a digital converter (like you would use if you were getting your channels the old fashioned way, from towers). You probably thought I meant something like one of Rogers digital boxes.

A digital converter converts digital channels on basic cable to analog so they can be viewed on any TV. With a Rogers basic cable account you get a free one, more with higher accounts and more outlets.

So it looks like what you have is an apartment in a house with a separate entrance from your neighbour, the other tenant. Do you each have your own hydro, water and gas meters, or is that included in the rent and the landlord takes care of it? If so, perhaps the landlord could have made an account with Rogers for basic cable to each apartment, but that's not really necessary because TV isn't a necessity like your utilities. People can watch using rabbit ears, OTA, cable, internet or not at all. I think in larger apartments the management has basic cable accounts for each unit and the tenants can upgrade individually as they wish.

If the house is wired for cable as a single unit and the other tenant has the account and has no problem you hooking up to a cable outlet to watch analog TV, you're probably okay for now. I don't think Rogers keeps track of how many analog outlets are in use because analog is coming to an end. But if you want to watch channels that are digital, you'll need a digital adapter or cable box, which are associated with a Rogers account. In that case you'd have to make a deal with your neighbour or get your own Rogers account and have separate cable.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario