Does a PVR need a hard drive to record?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Does a PVR need a hard drive to record?

I have looked all over the web for this question can't find anything. I ordered a PVR online that apparently doesn't come with a hard drive and was wondering do you necessary need a hard drive or can you connect it to your computer and use the hard drive on your computer instead? I believe it has a USB port that will connect to the computer.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Does a PVR need a hard drive to record?

Hello diveman1980

You need a hard drive that is installed in the PVR or a HDD extender. A PVR without a HDD can NOT record.

It will just be a HD box without a HDD in it. Also you can't connect it to your computer and use the computer HHD.

Thanks Meowmix. Well my really intention was just to use it as an HD box only but would have been nice to record on it as well. Thanks for your answer.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello diveman1980

You are welcome. Yeah it would have been nice but only way to do so is with a HDD in it or a HHD extender.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know some old old bell satellite boxes which would start working as a pvr, if you added a ext USB hdd.

Don't think any Rogers boxes have ever been this way though.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Gdkitty

None of the Rogers cable boxes new or old ones can not do this. Those Bell boxes can do it but had issues when u did it. Also you cant use those boxes with Rogers let alone register them with Rogers to work.

When you say extended do you mean like external hard drive like a hard drive you connect via USB?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello diveman1980

That is correct. You can use that to record movies / shows on it.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry yes, should have said that, that the bell ones you couldnt use on the rogers network anyways.

Hi Meowmix just one other question I have that I can't seem to find. The PVR in which I'm getting has AV in and out cables as well as HDMI out. If I was to put in say AV cables in the in port than feed out in HDMI would it still play back on the TV even though I wouldn't get full HD?