Documentation for Nextbox 3.0 9865HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Documentation for Nextbox 3.0 9865HD

Hi and thanks googols for this opportunity to connect and solve issues!!!

THE LINKS TO THE MANUAL ARE ALL DEAD please someone fix them?

I have the Nextbox 9865 by Cisco I think, pretty recent! There are 2 USB jacks on the back. I put in a flash disk/memore and a screen asking if I want to format it came up, then said the device didn't respond properly. I tried both jacks, various disks/cards.

What kind of USB device can it take?

Again thanks bazillioins for these foums - as well as Rogers' greatestest products and services! Keep it up!

Teo

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

BackPanel.jpg

Simple question: can I save shows to USB Flash drive? THANKS FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY TO ASK!

The ONLY reason we upgraded to this unit is so that I can get shows off of it with the USB port so thanks googols!

Teo

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Teo4 wrote:

What kind of USB device can it take?

None.  The USB ports are not used in Rogers RTN implementarion.

The eSATA port can be used to add an external disk, though there appears to be a limited selection of drives that are supported/work.  If the manufacturers tehnical specifications specifically state it works with a PVR/DVR then it should be OK.

Highlighted

@Teo4 wrote:

Simple question: can I save shows to USB Flash drive? THANKS FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY TO ASK!

There is no way to get programs off the box other than playing them in real time through the HDMI/RGB/Video outputs and recording on another device (like a DVR, or even VHS/Betamax).  Smiley Sad

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@neilpalmer400 wrote:

@Teo4 wrote:

If the manufacturers tehnical specifications specifically state it works with a PVR/DVR then it should be OK

Hi Neil,

Yay of yays! At least we have a glimpse of light waaay down this dark tunnel! I don't know what an eSATA is..

"The eSATA port can be used to add an external disk"

But we suuuure are getting SOMEWHERE! Yay! Woohoo! Neil you are my buddy! As they say, "Ask and ye shall receive." I believe in patience. With unlimited patience everything comes just when you want it. Ah some relief!

Now I may be able to save these 20 Wagner opera recordings I need to have available every minute Robot wink

Teo

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not to fast there.

The eSATA (its a external version of what most PCs use internally now), drives, are not for BACKUP.

Plugging in an eSATA drive, expands the storage capabilities.  It will format the drive, and then add that to the total storage available for the PVR.

Highlighted

@Gdkitty wrote:

Not to fast there.

The eSATA (its a external version of what most PCs use internally now), drives, are not for BACKUP.

Plugging in an eSATA drive, expands the storage capabilities.  It will format the drive, and then add that to the total storage available for the PVR.

Exactly.  Maybe I should have been clearer with that.

And Teo4 - before you ask - no you can't decide what programs are recorded on the external drive, that is managed by the PVR itself and programs COULD in theory be spread over both the internal and external drive.   Either way it appears the index for what is recorded on the external drive is kept on the internal drive.

And if you disconnect it and connect it to another PVR your only menu choice is whether to initialize the drive for use with the new PVR or not.  You can not access the programs that may be recorded on it unless you reconnect it to the exact same box you had it attached to when they were recorded (and then maybe only if you immediately reattach it, before the original PVR records anything else and wipes the index data for what was recorded on the external drive.

The product has been intentionally designed to NOT let you make any digital copies of recordings from it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Neil,

I looove you for giving me the exact answers to the exact questions I had - and even predicted my next question! I also hate you for telling me the miserable truth.. but like iTunes, which sells music, of course THERE IS NO RECORD BUTTON!

I've been putting things on VHS since you so clearly explained, so thank! A friend has a DVD recorder, I suppose it's about the same thing, but you can't blame me for trying!

If magically when I put a different size usb drive/flash in there and it asks "What programs would you like to archive in mpg format Teo?" I'll let you know, though maybe I shouldn't, maybe you've invested in pay-per-view (he he).

I wish someone had clearly told me this before, I really would have kept my last PVR, but like many thinks in life, I would have always wondered, and thanks to smart folks like Neil I fully know now!

I also reeeally appreciate Rogers having these forums where I can snoop around and see what other people are asking too, great service you Rogerites! Love ya! THANKS GOOGOLS!

Teo

Highlighted

I have a couple of old Pioneer DVR's (DVR-510H & DVR-633H) that I use to record onto their HDD's from playback from my two Nextboxes (usually start up a playback when I go to bed or have no plans to watch TV for an hour or two) and then they can burn the recording from their HDD's to DVD.  It's not HD but the picture is fairly good.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Webpage not available. a waste of my time. And Rogers should supply what is needed.