Do I need a newer digital box?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Do I need a newer digital box?

Currently I have an Explorer 1840.  I don't seem to have any problems with it but when my brother was over during Christmas he said it is too old and that I should get a newer model.  Like I said it seems to work fine but I am wondering if a newer model would give me anything new?  Make any difference in viewing?  I understand there is PVR and that might interest me.  But I assume that it would cost me more or the box would cost me more per month.

Suggestions?  Opinions?

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Do I need a newer digital box?

If it works just fine then keep it.  Do not let people try to brainwash you to tell you that you need a new box if yours works just fine.  You probably own it and dont pay rental charges. Now if you switch to a hi def tv then yes you may want to cobsider buying (expensive) the net box or renting one because watching an hdtv is worth it

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @rye_encoke

Whether you should upgrade to a new box will depend on the quality of your TV, and what you watch - and the way you want to watch it.

I've usually been an 'early adopter' - and I like to have the best quality TV picture (when I can afford it.)

The big question is about your TV.  How old is it and is it an HDTV?

The other question is do you just watch live TV.  Did you used to use a VCR?

Believe it or not - before Rogers cable went digitial - I used to have about a dozen VCR's hooked up - and about half a dozen of them were very high quality Super VHS VCR's - and I used them to sometimes be recording up to 6 shows during prime time from 8 pm to 11.

But when Rogers came out with a PVR - and I first used one - I NEVER touched my VCR's again.

A PVR lets you record TV programs to a computer hard drive - and then you watch them later when YOU want to.  It's a WAY BETTER way to watch TV.  AND you can fast forward through commercials.

BUT the newest Rogers PVRs use a new (awful) interface called Navigatr.  If you do get a PVR, you might want to buy a used SA 8300HD from Kijiji.  It has an easier to use older interface - that almost EVERYBODY prefers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As the others have mentioned.. it comes down to what you do/watch, and what you are watching it on.

The 1840 outputs only in SD.
If you not on an HDTV of any form (a much older CRT, etc) then no, a new box generally would not give you any difference in picture quality, etc.

Now, if you are on a newer TV, it would.

Almost ALL channels now are in HD (not all, but i would say a good 90%?). 
You woldnt notice much a chance on your existing box.. but switching to an HD box, you would.
(Last year i FINALLY got my mom to switch.. she didnt beleive me there would be a difference, until she did)

So you could just switch to a newer HD box.
Beyond that, you get to into the PVRs, which allow you to record and watch later what you are watching.

If you own your own box.. then yes there would be a cost associated with it, the rental.
If your existing one is a rental, you could start renting a newer one, but may be a increase $ wise between the two.
Alternatively.. It might be worth giving them a call.
Often there may be new promo's available to you.. a bit of a savings, as well may be able to offer you a free rental for X many years.  (EG: last time i called it..  had to commit to 2 years (which wasnt a big deal, only other service here is very bad bell stuff, not fibe), but was able to get a discount on TV, net and phone... as well as one of my box rentals for free)

I'm a Regular

Oh, now see I didn't know that.  My tv is newer and HD but I didn't know my box was SD.  So I might just see about getting a new HD box...probably not pvr though.  I do rent the current box but a few dollars more a month for a HD box wouldn't matter.  Will contact Rogers at some point to see what I have to do.

Thanks to all who responded, all great responses and all very helpful.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, not sure what the current rental pricing is...
I am on the old rent to own option.. so its different than the regular rental.
COULD be up to $10 more a month 😞

But would have to call and find out.. again, may be able to convince them of giving you a free rental for being a good customer 🙂

You will be suprised at the quality difference on many channels.
Even though some will complain that rogers HD is less say than some other companies.. from SD to HD is night and day for many things.
(Depending on the TV.. dont be suprised, some stuff may look HYPER realistic in HD compared to what you are used to)

The New tv will connect via HDMI most likely.

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

A standard definition terminal is $5.49/month.

A Nextbox HD Terminal is $12.95/month.

A HDPVR will run you $24.95/month.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@rye_encoke You REALLY should take a look at PVR's.   Ask any of your friends about them.

Watching TV using a PVR is like the change in transportation from using a horse drawn carriage to driving in a automobile.

With a PVR - YOU decide what you want to watch and when.  You simply select the programs you are interested in the TV Guide - and the box records them for you and then you watch them any time you wish after they're recorded - and you DON'T have to sit through commercials.

The change in your control over your TV viewing and the convenience is FAR more than you can imagine before you've ever used one.