Digital cable - moving it to another cable outlet in the room

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Digital cable - moving it to another cable outlet in the room

I recently moved into a new home and had rogers come in and hook up my digital cable in my livingroom.  I've decided that I don't want the tv there anymore and would like to move it to another outlet that is already in the room.  I moved the tv and digital cable box to the new outlet, but I can't seem to get a signal for the digital cable. Is there something special I need to do or do I need to have rogers come in and do something to that outlet?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Digital cable - moving it to another cable outlet in the room

You have to know something, you can do this your self too if you have the proper knowledge and handy skills, otherwise yes you may call rogers and have them do it, there might be a cost involved.

Just a word of thought, if you know what you are doing, you can go into your basement, find the cable run going to your new outlet, and see if its connected to the rogers main feed or splitter, some times its not depending on the cable package you subscribe to. if you have basic cable or a package with one outlet, that would explain why, having one outlet is not something thats bad, its your house, you have the ability to basically "re-locate" this outlet to a different cable run, thats all your doing, thats what I would do, and if your a handy man, you can save some $$$ by not placing service calls, but if you absolutely do not know what you are doing, then its worth the $$$ to call the technician/installer and have him do ot for a small charge.

I've Been Here Awhile

We did do that down in the basement, switched the cable lines so the new outlet was connected to the rogers connection thing, but we still got have cable on our tv.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's likely that that connection is not connected back at the source where it comes into the house, may have been done when that one its on now was added.

Yes, if you give them a call, they can come and test and try to find it for you. As long as its just been not connected, and hasn't been pulled from the walls, etc, they should be able to just switch it around for you

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

maybe there could be a connection problem behind the actual outlet? my friend had a similar issue, but he paid me to come check it because i charge less than the rogers technician, and i found his coaxial cable in the wall was not connected to the back of the wall plate, i simply re-connected it and only charged him $20 bucks for my time and effort, and he was happy. but it could be anything, even what gdkitty suggested

I've Been Around

Hi, I've got a Rogers digital box downstairs, we've now bought another TV for a bedroom.

I've already installed a cable from the splitter downstairs

and ran it through the air duct vents to the bedroom but it is still Analog upstairs.

I'm told we need another digital box. Anything else needed?

Thanks.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Yes, you need another digital box in order to get digital or HD programming. You also need to call in a Rogers tech in order for him to check wiring to the new outlet (I doubt there is a need to run cable from downstairs throught air vents) as each room should have a cable outlet.

P.S. Rogers terms of service require any new outlet to be added by Rogers tech.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@TeDD13 wrote:

Yes, you need another digital box in order to get digital or HD programming. You also need to call in a Rogers tech in order for him to check wiring to the new outlet (I doubt there is a need to run cable from downstairs throught air vents) as each room should have a cable outlet.

P.S. Rogers terms of service require any new outlet to be added by Rogers tech.

Depending on the age of the house, there may in fact be a need to run a new cable to the bedroom. Not all houses are pre-wired with cable in all rooms, especially older homes. Also, depending on the service he has, he may be entitled to additonal outlets. Any VIP service allows you to "connect up to 3 additional TVs at no additional cost." If he does not have VIP, he would be subject to the extra connection fee of $6.99 per month for extra cable outlets. This fee does include "all additional active outlets". The OP now has an active outlet.

Also, the OP may have been smart to install his own cable. A few years ago, we inquired of a service rep in our home to install a new cable and he wanted to run the wire up two flights of stairs and staple it all along our baseboards. We politely declined this offer!  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Frazzled is right in that regard about what they wanted to do.

While it is Rogers job to provide that connection TO that room, of you want tv there, their technicians can generally NOT do wiring through walls, etc. there is too much chance Rogers can damage walls, anything inside the walls, etc, they are not insurance covered for that type of work/damage.

All in all, still might be worth a tech visit out, just to ensure the cable signal strength to there.

As for boxes, they would need a digital box of some form.
A DTA is free, but will only give you channels 1-60 ish
Either an sd it HD box will give you the full range of channels just different output format.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi all. I am considering relocating my Rogers box (not the set top box, but the grey box that connects to the cable and the modem) to another room. The reason is because one of our computers cannot access the internet wirelessly so it needs to be hardwired and it in a very awkward place right now. My question is about whether I'm allowed to just switch it myself or if I Have to get a tech out to do it, because I don't want to mess up my service. And if I do need a tech, are they going to charge me? I hope not for 10 minutes of work. Thanks.