Digital adapter

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Digital adapter

connected the digital adapter it didn't ask me to activate or nothing came up on the screen. I scanned channels from the TV menu and programmed the remote. When I change channels I noticed some channel numbers aren't the number they are on the other tv's in the house. Some of the channels stick and the show/picture freezes and you have to change the channel. Some channels say you need to call to speak to administrator for service which is usually a channels we get. There was no adapter instruction in the box other than for the remote programming only. I installed an adapter to my bedroom TV and it went well it had instructions and info that came up on the screen.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Digital adapter

Hi Lara007, if you did a channel scan from your tvs tuner (or digital tuner) then u did it wrong. The digital transport adaptor is designed so u dont need to scan ur tv, you would simply tune your tv to channel 3 (cable 3) much like you would if u remember back inthe days when we used vcrs etc. You then use the dta adaptor to change channels so ur channel numbers would appear normal. Hope this helps

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, your TV tuner needs to be set on Channel 3 (or 4) and you don't have to scan anything. Some channels will be on a different channel on digital and analog. I belieeve the Shopping Channel is one of them.

The instructions are pretty straightforward and are found on the larhe sheet included with the adapter. Also found here:

http://downloads.rogers.com/cable/userguides/ON_DTA50_EIG_1.05.pdf At least that's for the DTA50 I got.

If you're lucky, the DTA remote will work and do everything you need. In some cases you'll have to use both remotes.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Around

I just installed one today but it doesn't seem to work. Are you supposed to see channel numbers on the unit? All I see is the green power light. When I try to change channels with the remote nothing happens. I have digital adapter and TV set on Channel 3.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Have you called into Rogers to have the box initialized?
I'm a Senior Advisor

After you hook up the digital adapter a message appears on your screen to call a Rogers number to get it authorized. Soon after that you'll get a picture and will be able to change channels with the digital adapter remote. When you change channels you'll see the channel number on your screen. Also when you press INFO.

I've Been Around

Somewhere along the line I must have missed something with regards to the digital adapter.  I was originally under the impression that you needed the analogue to digital conversion adapter for use with any non-digital TV.  Now it appears that you will need the adapter regardless of the TV.  Just wondering why a direct connect of the coax cable into a digital TV would not work?

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Tarkus,

A direct connection of coaxial cable to the TV will only provide SOME channels, and this number will eventually be reduced to one or even zero. 

Full analoge channels (present when connecting coax direct to TV) require TONS of bandwidth. Rogers would rather delete the analoge channel and provide a COMPRESSED digital equivalent - thus allowing the delivery of more and higher quality (HD, 4K) channels and services. This is why you will soon require a DTA-50 or full set top box to tune cable channels. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Tarkus wrote:

Somewhere along the line I must have missed something with regards to the digital adapter.  I was originally under the impression that you needed the analogue to digital conversion adapter for use with any non-digital TV.  Now it appears that you will need the adapter regardless of the TV.  Just wondering why a direct connect of the coax cable into a digital TV would not work?

If you had been reading the fine print at the bottom of your Rogers bills, you would have seen the notice of the digital migration 3 years ago and information how to obtain a free digital adapter.  I missed it too, but found out on this Forum and called Rogers to order mine.  Basically, by now there should be no more analog cable left (I only see the aquarium channel on 70 here) but some areas still have a few channels.

No, you have it wrong, the adapters are not to make an analog signal display on newer flat panel TVs, but to convert basic cable digital channels from your co-ax cable to analog and feed them in to ANY TV on Channel 3. Just like any cable box, except it's only the basic cable channels and only SD.  You control your TV with the remote that comes with the digital adapter. For some TV models the DTA remote can't do all the functions. I still need to use the TV remote to turn the set on and off, and, of course, change the picture size and aspect ratio when necessary. Also, if you use a VCR, you'll no longer be able to tape one show while watching another one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To expand on Oldyellr's

As he hinted on.. its kind of a reverse adapter.
It takes a purely DIGITAL signal.. and converts it back to analog.  It allows then just about ANY tv to use it, as long as it has a coax input.. regardless of having a analog, digital, or whatever tuner is in it.

You are correct, that technically almost all new TVs have a 'digital' tuner in them.. that they can receive digital signals.
This works perfectly fine, with say an OTA antenna, etc.

The problem is, that rogers signals are encyrpted.  The TV does not know how/what to decode this signal.
That is what the box does.

Some will argue that its all about getting more revinue from the box rentals, etc.. that may be partially.. but the MAIN thing is about THEFT.  With analog, litteraly if you connected into the street without rogers knowing, boom, at least basic TV, for free..  very easy to steal.