Digital adapter remote reprogramming

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Enthusiast

Re: Digital adapter remote reprogramming

If all these boxes didn't have a reputation for instability I'd probably buy outright, but renting is more profitable for Rogers isn't it?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes and no.

Breakind down cost to buy, vs rental cost... lets say on a 8642 PVR.

AT $500, compared to rental, after about 21 months ish, rogers is making money on the rental.
So after that point.. they ARE making money off of you.

But, they also have to deal with the number of these boxes that come back defective, swapped, exchanged, etc.. there is alot of hardware sitting in repair at any time, plus the cost of repair, etc.. so a chunck of money is tied up there.

Also comparatively.. say i start renting NOW.  1.5 years from now, say they FINALy desicde to go with a better box.  With the rental, i can just go in and SWAP the box for the new model.. with purchase, you are stuck with what you have.. so depends on how long the turn around/change time is.

I've Been Here Awhile

my remote isnt able to adjust the TV volume or turn on/off the tv. I hates this digigtal adapter crap to start. And God knows Rogers wont be able to fix it so now im going to have to bring it in and get a new one and set it up. This is all just a big pain in the behind Man Mad

**edited for content**

Spoiler

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A new one likely wont make a difference.

These are 'univeral' remotes so to speek.  While they TRY to work with every TV, they are not guaranteed to work with all (just like any universal remote you would buy from the store)

Now i have heard that the FULL rogers remotes work with the DTAs as well, and they likely have a much better range of TVs they work with (but still are not guaranteed to work with all... like i have a TV it works on everything but the power).

I dont know if these are something you can just ask/swap/buy from a rogers store.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Did you follow the Rogers instruction sheet, or those in the leaflet that came with the remote? I tried both. The best I could get was everything except the power button to work. When I tried the method in the remote leaflet using the TV code, I lost the mute and volume functions. I talked to Rogers support and was told I could reset the remote by pressing the set button until the indicator light flashes twice, but that didn't work for me.

The Rogers instructions talk about pressing the set button for 3 seconds, whereas the remote control leaflet says until the red light flashes twice. Since the red light is under a semi-opaque white button, it's almost impossible to see in daylight, probably why Rogers just says 3 seconds instead. Some people may have more luck seeing a dim red light than others. I have trouble.

If you can't get the remote to reset to factory default and program it again using the Rogers method, just take it back to a Rogers store and they'll gladly give you a new one. That's what I did and had no trouble setting it up using the Rogers method (all except the power button). The digital adapter and remote are very simple devices, primarily intended for people with older TVs on basic cable. If you have a newer flat panel TV, you'll still need your original remote to change aspect ratio for different channels, so you'll always need 2 remotes and it's annoying when you use the wrong one and get "no signal".

In case you've lost the Rogers instructions, here they are:

http://downloads.rogershelp.com/digitalcable/guides/DTA50_EIG_ON.pdf

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Folow this to set up your remote :

tern on yor tv than .....

1)press and hold setup button until you see light flashes twice

2) press 9-9-1

3) start pressinh channel up (top buttom) ..(do not rush..press every second, not faster)

4) when you see that your tv is shuts off....stop pressing CH up, but br careful you should stop at the same time when tv will shut down,,,,so be cariful when pressing channel up, if you went over ....start again from step 1

5)press setup button ....

6) check , make shure volume works...

I'm a Senior Advisor

That is the method in the Delta DTA leaflet. I suppose it's worth a try if the Rogers method and the method on the urcsupport.com website using your TV code doesn't work, but it didn't work for my TV. In the end I just took my remote back to Rogers for replacement and set it up as best I could to about 90% perfect (power button not working).

Remember, this is just a cheapie free remote and you shouldn't expect it to work with all the TVs that have ever been made anymore than you would expect a $10 universal remote from Walmart to work. Sure, there are fancy programmable remotes you can buy for more than you paid for your TV, but before spending that kind of money, you could look into an actual STB instead of making do with a free DTA if it's that important. It's not that important to me for a kitchen TV.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And dont even think that the universal ones will do it.

I used to own a logitech one.. probably about $179 (at the time).

Rogers box, it worked on.  TV, it worked on. 
Surround sound.. would power OFF.. but not power ON.. (was a cheap no name surround sound)

My DVD player (panasonic, so not a no name) it would always do DOUBLE power, so off then right back on..

This is why i have started collecting APPS for my iphone for my current TV, surround sound, bluray, etc.. at least i can do it in all one device 😛

I've Been Around

I have just set up the Rogers digital adapter.  Using the new "basic" remote that came with it, I followed all of the instructions and now get all the appropriate channels and can control volume and channle selection on the tv.  But I can't turn on/off the tv.  I must use the universal tv remote. 

What have I done wrong?  How can I re-program the remote to turn on the tv?  thanks,

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello old_timer

Did you program the remote with the tv? If not try that & it should work.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats